Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Can't wait for the Uber Alternatives Strategies fund to come out. Hopefully it is available at Scottrade. My NARFX funds are waiting to be rolled over.
  • edited June 2011
    Yes - very interesting.....

"For the first time, two Morningstar Manager of the Decade nominees will team up to run a new fund. Steven Romick of FPA and Jeffrey Gundlach of Doubleline will join a team from Loomis Sayles and Water Island Capital to run the Litman Gregory Masters Alternative Strategies Fund."

....but pricey....
  • I see the appeal of the four sleeves. What I don't find appealing is paying substantial additional expenses for tactical allocation "based on the risk/reward prospects of each strategy at the time". If I am buying into a portfolio of (I hope) non-overlapping strategies run by great managers, I think I want to just let the strategies run, rather than having another layer where someone is trying to pick winners from among the strategies. This additional layer seems as likely to mute as to amplify the wisdom of the managers of each sleeve.
  • Howdy GFB,

Yup. Perhaps just buy the four funds mentioned and do a "built it yourself" fund of funds and save a little in expenses.

Not a basketball watcher; but kinda reminds one of the Miami Heat gett'in all the stars for the big run. The question becomes; do they all play together nice??? Singular egos, skills and related sometimes do not bring about the expected results when all thrown in the same stew pot. Not unlike someone who really enjoys the tastes of strawberries and sauerkraut; BUT not together on a strawberry rueben on rye, sandwich, eh?

Regards,
    Catch
  • I agree that the additional layer of management fee is appealing. I have great respect for Romick and the Loomis Sayles team while others are so so...