Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SPY Up 20% YTD

edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
No distributions again this week...

Comments

• Dear Charles: Year-end, I see the S&P 500 at 26-27%, 30% is not out of the question.
    Here is the total return for the 500 so far this year. The mean is about 8% on a annual bases
    1Day: .16%
    MTD: 5.45%
    QTD: 5.45%
    YTD 20.03%
    3Year 19.00%
    5Years 8.46%
  • edited July 2013
    Reply to @Ted: Thank man. Hope you are correct. I'd be happy to just avoid a major pullback at this point. Get some stability back in the market for long term, if that's possible any more.
  • I do hope you're both correct, but I put some money in this week (other money had been there long term), so Murphy's Law of Investing ("The stock, fund, market you buy is the only one that tanks - unless all of them do") is probably active.

With a US market P/E over 20, I'm obviously playing the Bernanke put for a few months, but with trepidation. Hope I have the courage to sell with even a modest gain. If one believes Arnott, should be creeping back into EM. Foster was down less than his benchmark; GEGAX down almost 10%.

Bought SQM since Foster did. Always a bad sign when the advisory letter selects your stock as "disappointing" in the portfolio. Of course, he thinks it has a future, so should one double down (only to find that he's sold it), hold or sell? (It's rhetorical, I'll probably double down - this is gambling, right?)
  • edited July 2013
    Reply to @STB65: I added to SIGIX this week, along with FAAFX and AQRIX. Sold BRK and X for more BCS and ORI.

I think a couple undervalued sectors remain...certainly basic materials, energy/infrastructure, global financials, and foreign...especially EM/BRIC.

Here M* take on valuation for market overall...about where it should be, if becoming slightly elevated:

But here is same look at basic materials:

And energy:

I'm still trying run with this bull and adding selectively.

Yes, fingers-crossed, it doesn't turn with a vengeance. A continued trot or even stroll would be welcomed.

Good luck, always welcomed.