Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SunAmerica Focused Dividend Strategy Fund

edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
Anyone have thoughts about, or experience with, the SunAmerica Focused Dividend Strategy Fund (FDSAX)? It has an excellent record over most periods, but is its NAV (up 29.5% YTD) currently too high to be sustained? Apparently the manager picks 30 stocks once a year, and then sticks with them at least until the following year.

Thanks,
Archaic

Comments

• I am more comfortable with the Schwab strategy SCHD. Also no commission to buy/sell and lowest ER.
  • edited July 2013
    FDSAX has good numbers, but it comes with 5.75% front load - indefensible in my opinion. Other share classes appear not so easily available. I'd look elsewhere. SCHD is indeed off to decent start. Here's glance at FDSAX along with some other established large value funds:

• edited July 2013
    Hello,

SunAmerica Focused Dividend Strategy Fund is one of my buy and hold holdings. It strategy is simple yet effective. For those that might be interested I have linked the funds fact sheet below.

https://www.safunds.com/pdf/Fund-Fact-Sheets/asset_upload_file789_6326.pdf

There is another SunAmerica fund that I have placed under review. It is their Global Trends Fund and it's A share ticker symbol is GTFAX. It is a relative new fund so there is not much history to go on; but, its strategy is to position in the better gobal opportunities that are felt one should be invested in from currency, stocks, bonds, commodities, etc. I believe the fund can cover up to ten asset classes if felt warranted. I have linked it's fact sheet below for those that might wish to take a look see for some investment ideas. For the past month it scores close to a top ten percent return fund in its category but its twelve month returns run hot and cold.

https://www.safunds.com/pdf/Fund-Fact-Sheets/asset_upload_file936_6259.pdf

Have a great day ... and, I wish all "Good Investing."

Skeeter