Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

general market conditions

edited June 2011 in Off-Topic
good morning
Hope you good folks are doing well. I've heard a piece of NPR news about housing and market conditions on way to work today, things SOUND VERY BAD [expected 5 millions more home to foreclose the next few yrs and at least 1 millions will be foreclosed the next 6-12 months], no one are buying these auctions and the bank will at these up.
what are you folks think about this, more bad news to come, the 2nd wave? dip? Not enough 'new buyers' to gobble these new house and foreclosed invetories.
I could not find that piece but they do have another similiar piece
http://www.npr.org/2011/06/21/137303327/will-housing-take-another-hit-as-boomers-sell

should we bail before another 'sh*tload' hit the fan?
thanks

Comments

• Hi johnN,

Kinda reminds one of what has been discussed here and at FA for awhile now.

Too many, in my opinion; have expected a speed boat recovery for a few years now; and I have not found much basis for this thinking. The recovery boat is not sunk or sinking at this time; but continues to have damage to several of its numerous propellers and thus the forward movement is still impaired.

AND, to where would you bail: IF indeed you felt you had to protect your portfolio today???

Regards,
    Catch
  • Ya, we're looking at a secular, structural change in the environment. Unemployment at 9-10 percent is the new normal. The politicians cannot admit it, or they won't get the votes to get re-elected. In my city, unemployment is at 11%, and we're recovering from a tornado, too. It's an employer's market, not like it was in 2000. To get hired, you need to show them that you're the Superman for X-specific job. Intelligence and ability and ambition has nothing to do with it. Anyway, job-hunting is as much fun as sticking needles in your eyes.....Where to "bail" and run to with your portfolio these days? Monthly dividend-payers.
  • Hi Max,

Indeed, from my perspective, income never goes out of fashion. Just make sure, though, that you seek out and maintain a well diversified portfolio in the pursuant of income. I wish you the very best ... and, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

My best,
    Skeeter