Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

US Bonds - Generally Off Yesterday, But Worse Today

edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
Today, 7/24...

Yesterday, 7/23...

Comments

• I think the Fed has fired their first shot over the bow (-:
  • Tuesday looked great compared to today, Wed. the 24th.
  • Equities no likey rise in interest rates (yet again as the 10yr gets close to 2.6%), although certainly that's just looking at the day.
  • edited July 2013
    Oh boy, it's another one of the "everything gets killed" days; guess we're not done with those. Only thing in stocks or bonds I see up is tech, which looks like just a handful of stocks up a lot, including Apple and EMC, both up > 5%.

TE Connectivity (TEL) bumped a bunch, too -- it's a top holding of both ARTKX and FMIJX.
  • edited July 2013
    Reply to @AndyJ: You're telling me. What remains counter-intuitive is that when earnings and housing starts signal improvement (eg., F, NOC, AAPL), while these individual stocks may go up, overall markets decline. I think somebody posted yesterday that 80% of the earnings have beaten expectations. Seems to me kind of stupid. If it helps, I think volume is summer light.
  • edited July 2013
    Maybe it's Meredith's fault.

SlowLane posted she wrote a scary OpEd on Detroit's filing:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/7084/post-detroit-filing
  • edited July 2013
    Reply to @Charles: 66% above, 10% met, 24% below. (just happened to go by on CNBC as I was reading this.)

I continue to find a lot to like in terms of specific themes and ideas, despite continued big picture concerns.

AT & T noting this morning on CNBC that there was a 50% increase in data demand on mobile phones y/o/y. I continue to like the whole "supply chain" of delivering data and media, as I only see demand increasing. I also agree with the whole Lucas/Spielberg discussion of an implosion of the film industry and, on the other side, much more content delivered at home and on the phone/XBOX/etc versus people going to a movie theater.

Look at John Malone's (Liberty Media, LMCA) dealings with cable companies recently (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/liberty-media-inside-john-malones-574340.) ""John Malone isn't buying media companies here; he's buying infrastructure providers," says analyst Craig Moffett of Moffett Research. "The assets he's collecting will be the digital distribution platform for media, regardless of whether that media is delivered via traditional cable packages or via Netflix and Hulu."
  • Reply to @Charles: Yup, I can see safe bonds getting hit on earnings reporting, but not necessarily risk-on bonds and stocks ... but I guess stocks could be just digesting the latest high.
  • Reply to @AndyJ:

Hi AndyJ,

Where may I ask are you hiding in bonds these days?

Mona
  • Reply to @Mona: Hi Mona, OSTIX, PAAIX, DBLFX, & MAINX; boosted equity a bit, & sitting on 20% cash. How about you? AJ
  • Reply to @AndyJ:

Hi AndyJ,

PIMIX, DBLTX, PDIIX, DODIX, OSTIX, MWCRX

Mona
  • Reply to @Mona: Oh yeah, I left out PIMIX ... in a Roth account I rarely look at.