Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Banged up funds 1 month later...USAGX...up 20%

beebee
edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
I posted some repositioning I did a month ago with PETDX, VWO, VGPMX, and USAGX. So far so good with each, but USAGX has provided the biggest 1 month return of nearly 20%. Today, I pulled that gain and I am letting the rest ride with a watchful eye. Nice to report a small success with all the bond-confusion in my portfolio.

PETDX maybe the next fund I harvest short term profits from as it is up 15% over the last month.

Comments

• Hi bee,

I enjoy hearing those success stories.

Skeeter
  • I agree, well done bee!
  • USAGX

YTD -38.69
    1yr -29.64
    3yr -17.34 (annualized)
    5yr -6.35 (annualized)

I hope you invested in this over the last month. It is even down in 3mo.
  • Reply to @Investor:

I added to VGPMX (my long term hold PM fund) and I created a new position with USAGX on June 20th. As you point out, this has been a falling knife investment. I just happened to catch the USAGX knife as it slipped through a little butter. My thought with this investment was based on a bit of historical pricing for this fund (see 10 yr chart below). I considered June 20th a time where a bounce or a bottom might form. Picking bottom don't always end so sweet. A watchful eye is more important with this type of a fund.

Good picking:
  • Reply to @bee: Sweet.
  • Nice work bee. Just wondering what do you do for excitement? Noticed USAGX still off 40% YTD.
  • Bee a question if I may? Did you get hit with short term buy -sell fee, usually 90 days? Taking only the profit left you in good standing, I take for granted.
    Thanks for your time.

derf
  • Reply to @Derf: Yeah, I know with the exception of Rydex and Profunds funds, I can't do anything remotely that short term without being hit with fees.
  • Reply to @Derf:

Hi Derf,
    I purchased this fund through USAA brokerage. I went back to check to see if there was an early redemption fee and so far nothing has posted. Many of my Vanguard funds do have these early redemption fees. I'll keep you posted.