Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Forget The Chatter, Buy And Hold Still Works

Comments

• Sure, if your time frame is long enough and temperament tolerant enough.
  • edited August 2013
    How did I know this was a Mark Hulbert piece before I clicked on the link. Seems like every month he has a article professing the goodness of buy and hold.

• edited August 2013
    Reply to @Charles: I don't agree with Buffett on some things but I am more and more in agreement with his view that you buy things that you would be comfortable holding if the market shut down for 10 years. That's a bit tough and I'm trying to be better about it, but I think that viewpoint (or at least 5 years), does at least focus one towards quality/highest conviction ideas. It's not that buy and hold is the thing by any means - people can succeed with a number of different strategies.
  • Anyhow, that's pretty much what I've been doing. I make changes RARELY. Not in terms of months, but YEARS. Yes, buy and hold.