Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard fund suggestions

2»

Comments

• Reply to @mrc70: No question the fund have a bad year in2008, however; it's overall long-term record makes VCVLX a keeper.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Lipper Ranking & Performance
    Fund return Category Index
    (S&P 500) % rank in category Quintile rank
    YTD 28.49% 20.33% 20.10% 2% 1
    1yr 41.68% 25.81% 23.30% 1% 1
    3yr 16.70% 15.14% 17.00% 34% 2
    5yr 13.38% 7.04% 7.90% 2% 1
    10yr 9.13% 8.01% 7.8% 24% 2
  • Reply to @Ted:

Hi Ted,

Frankly, I get sick on roller coasters. Some good years of return (2009 +81.49%), some poor (2008 -48.84%) and in the past 10 years, it's been up 6 and down 4. The fund continuously has a negative alpha .

And didn't VCVLX have 3 different managers in your referenced 10 year period?

Mona
  • Reply to @Mona:

Wow, her IBM plan is very good indeed. Such choices are very rare. I work for a large tech company as well. Our 401k fund list is very limited but the redeemer is that I've got self directed 401k brokerage option that I can buy popular retail funds that I do in my IRA. I may get some institutional share with TF if I want but not DFA funds.
  • Reply to @msf: Thank you for the correction on TDA buying/selling policy. In addition, Vanguard also offer additional purchase for $3 using automatic investing, but two purchases are required. One must speaks with a representative instead doing it online as with Fidelity.
  • Reply to @Investor:

Investor, it is a plan unlike I have seen before, especially for a retiree. But if I think, it only adds to economy of scale.

Interestingly, the plan is administered by Fidelity.

Mona
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Mona:

IBM 401k Plus Plan Click upon the green tab named "All Funds" for the list.

The page notes 194 funds. One usually has to be registered at these sites for full info.

Catch
  • beebee
    edited August 2013
    Reply to @catch22:

Thanks Catch. Nice comparison tool at this site as well...Charles would be jealous. Click on the "More Performace Analytics Comparison" button for all the data

myplaniq.com/LTISystem/jsp/portfolio/ComparePortfolio.action?withCompare=true&portfolioString=vwelx%2Cvwinx
  • Reply to @bee: That is pretty nice. I actually like the progression of sharpe ratio over multiple periods in one table. And I do not remember any other site that gives performance numbers going back to 1987
  • Moved some Rollover money to start a postion in VASVX and added to VFSTX.
    Still some funds remain in Money Market. I also have some money left in Roth IRA at TDA too, which I accumulated by taking profits from some funds earlier in the year, which turned out to be too early to take profits:-)
  • Reply to @bee: Very nice! That is much better than M*.