Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

In the beginning; investing that is.....

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
Among the major projects at this house for the past 8 months; an ongoing unwind of the personal past.

I have been digging through the too long stored newsletters and related about investing from the late 70's and early 80's. Mark Skousen was one subscription that I had for several years. Once on Mr. Skousen's mailing list (and other's), one would receive any number of trial subscriptions from various investment related sources. Today this is spam from computer tracking cookies.
I have periodically become stuck in these archieves of paper; during this sorting period. The time spent looking through these "documents" is interesting from a perspective of where one was at mentally and/or started to become more serious about investing for the future.
Also many books in soft and hardcover form. Some of these are book sets dedicated too investing and understanding the various forms of investments available at the time. I never did enjoy the math formula sections in the bond(s) book.:) Just give me the the "Cliff" notes version, eh?

I may keep the 1987 Barron's paper published after the October market slam.

Kinda like losing a longtime friend; disgarding these items, from this house. But, these are things that must be taken care of today and by me. If I dropped in my tracks today; my dear wife and our daughter would be overwhelmed by the "stuff".

Back to the coffee at this house; and the continued unwind and recycle of items from the past.

Take care of you and yours,
Catch

Comments

• Hi Catch. That's good. Moving has similar effect for us. An opportunity to clean house, getting rid of excess stuff we've collected through the years. Although I've gotten in habit of pdf'ing old documents before discarding. We've become a bit more disciplined in regularly cleaning house, always giving to local Goodwill. And I too find that as we've gotten older, our collecting is more about sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and smiles than acquiring more stuff...a good thing! Thanks for sharing and continued good luck while unwinding and recycling the past. Only 46 deg F and foggy here this Sunday morning, which is rare for August in cental coast. Charles