Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Reaffirms Alcoa Inc AA 5-Star Rating

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
Update:
Valuation 08/07/13

Our fair value estimate for Alcoa is $14 per share. Although Alcoa is currently navigating a low-price environment for aluminum, the industry is cyclical and our model assumes that sales volume and pricing will gradually rebound in the long run. Indeed, as Alcoa and other industry players cut production capacity via strategic plant closures, downward pricing pressure on aluminum will gradually be relieved, thereby offering the potential for margin expansion. For the time being, though, only the Engineered Products and Solutions segment offers double-digit after-tax operating margins (12.2% in first-quarter 2013). In fact, margins associated with the segment have expanded each year since fiscal 2009. No other segment currently offers after-tax operating margins above 7%. Although we assert that aluminum prices will remain low in the near term, we assume a long-term aluminum price of $2,400 per metric ton (in real terms) and a long-term alumina price of $450 per metric ton (in real terms). In addition to these price forecasts, we apply a 12% cost of equity assumption and a 9% weighted average cost of capital. The exit multiple in our discounted cash-flow model is 7 times enterprise value/EBITDA.
Interesting update yesterday from M*. AA has been on their 5 star stock list for months.
Alcoa's initiatives cannot fully offset weak aluminum pricing.

Analyst Note 08/06/13
We are placing our fair value estimate for Alcoa under review as we transfer coverage to a new analyst. We anticipate that our fair value estimate will decrease in light of lower than anticipated near-term aluminum pricing, a reduction in expectations for near-term alumina and aluminum shipment growth, and declining assumptions for margins in the primary metals and flat-rolled business units. Additionally, we are reassessing our narrow moat rating, as prevailing low aluminum prices will likely inhibit Alcoa's ability to provide returns on invested capital in excess of its cost of capital in the coming years. We will publish an updated fair value estimate within a few days.

Comments

• Meh. It doesn't seem like anything new for analysts, who change targets after moves have happened both ways. I can tell you a number of economists and managers whose opinions I find highly interesting and thought-provoking. Why is it that I don't have an analyst I follow?

I don't know, I have my views on a number of long-term themes and have invested as such.

As for Alcoa, I cannot imagine a thesis for why to invest in Alcoa. Maybe valuation - it's trading at less than book value - but what would be the catalyst? I just don't see anything on the horizon.
  • edited August 2013
    Yeah. I guess I see a way under-valued company. Lots of headwind causing it. Strong foreign competition. But good CEO. On the horizon I see recovering aerospace and automobile industries. No momentum in the stock, however. And, 10% short float. Although that's good, I suppose, compared to say US Steel X at 30% short!

ATI Allegheny is another one that appeals to me. Its plan forward is to focus in higher margin specialized metals. Probably smart move given foreign competition. And, the stock is starting to attract some attention.
  • Reply to @Charles: I think you make a good points, including things like http://www.alcoa.com/aerospace/en/Boeing_777_300ER.asp

I think a lot of materials stocks have just done terribly - X, AA, BHP, etc etc etc. A good portion of that is China's believed slowdown, but you note some good positives elsewhere that don't seem to be taken into account.

Valuation certainly is cheap on a number of these names, many of which are trading under book.

I believe you were in a few of these names - if you still are, good luck and hopefully the bounce over the last few days will continue.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @scott: Hey, finally, a really good day for coal and basic materials:

The irony is that they rose not on recovering US economy, but on China's.
  • Err... why are we talking about Alcoa on MFO
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak: That's why it's tagged "Off-Topic."