Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Emerging Markets Price-to-Book

I thought this was an interesting look at Emerging Markets Price-to-Book Ratio & Forward Returns Not sure if the below images will show properly on here.

Comments

• Historically, I have really been impressed with the Wasatch management team. WAEMX was introduced at the peak of the emerging market's performance back in Sept of 2007. It has handly outperformed the index since inception. Here's a long term chart of the two funds:

Since the 2009 low, VEIEX / VWO has doubled in value while WAEMX has almost quadrupled.

• Great info, WSR. I'm a little surprised the average rebound from < 1.5 happens so fast.
  • Reply to @bee: The fund has definitely done better, but should also be aware that this is Small Cap Emerging markets and it is being compared to regular (larger cap) emerging markets. Just listened to Ben Inker from GMO on a conference call today and he was actually talking about the huge difference in valuations between Large and Small Cap emerging markets. They think Small cap is very extended and like the larger names. Looking at the Wasatch fund this seems to show in their names as well.....Price-to-Book is 3.07 for the Wasatch fund....basically double that of the regular MSCI emerging market index which is larger cap.