Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tuition isn't only bill college students see rising

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
As usual, the comments section at the page bottom is worth reading, too.
Hoping the 529 may at least keep pace.

Story link

Comments

• Dear catch22;; What's the point ? If you can't afford college, there's always a need for ditch diggers. Someone has to do it !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The whole college education thing is becoming a huge scam. For years, our nephews got money that went into college savings programs sponsored by the state of WA. GET was the program I believe. The grandparents started it when it first became available. A couple of years ago or so when it was time to head to college, the universities severely cut back the quotas for in-state applicants and of course increased the out-of-state applicants. More money to be gotten. The savings program could be used for out of state colleges but at a reduced rate. Two of them ended up out of state.

One of the best ideas I had heard in years was by Steve Jobs before his passing. The e-books application by Apple was planned to include college text books. Apple was in negotiations to offer books to students at a far reduced price from what is charged at university book stores. The books of course are downloaded onto iPads. Cuts back on weight and paper costs and waste. A student could get all their books without worries of shortages or outdated versions. Now, Apple is dealing with a so-called price fixing scheme charge and that will take time and attorneys to sort out. Students lose.

I enjoyed the comment from Germany. It was spot on.
  • Many foriegn students (Chinese in the Boston Area) are propping up the housing market as their families choose to buy an apartment for their son or daughter. I personally see this as a viable alternative in some college towns with depressed housing prices.
  • Added: This link is an excellent tool to use to look at a paticular school and/or for comparison of pricing. The left edge data entry area allows one to place selected information for the search. After finding a particular school, there are numerous selectable menu items listed below the school name.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Ted: The nicest thing about ditch digging is that you get to start out right at the top right away.

But, I liked Peter's comment: "... my son went to trade school instead of college...became an electrician and within 7 years had his own business making over 75k a year ,employs 6 ......and the best part? he works a 4 day week"
  • bee is close to what I was thinking. As access to higher education in the US decreases, educated foreigners with highly subsidized or less expensive higher educations may very well become the middle to higher middle class in the US.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @bee:
    Agree. Ann Arbor, MI; Univ. of Mich. main campus, has maintained a strong real estate market through the thick and thin economic swings in this state. 'Course this and everything related to universities/community colleges and their student populations also support and encourage all the ancillary businesses and related that remain and expand, in the area.
    In spite of the amazing costs to foreign/out-of-states students; many of the large and/or name brand schools still and will maintain a large and diverse foreign student population.
    One of the strongest connections to meeting folks and families when I lived in Taiwan; was from them finding that I lived in Michigan and the conversations would move to "so and so" has a brother, sister or other family member attending U of M.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Ted:
    Well, you know the point. Knowledge is power, in many forms.
    University at this house, for the parents, is long ago paid.
    But for those who desire; but can not afford a higher education, will continue to lessen the quality of life in this country. Their potential skills and creative thinking may be lost to a society that could have benefited.
    Hell, MFO should have a recognized "CEU" (continuing educational units) value; as there is so much knowledge traveling through the pages here.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @catch22: Agree. A great deal of the knowledge available at MFO comes from Ted's excellent links.

Catch: In all honesty I didn't think your original link was that good. Provides only a quick cursory glimpse at a couple problems facing nation (1) the increasing unattainability of college education for the middle class and (2) inflation as it affects food, housing, etc. ... Oh - I like the OT area and agree with the importance of the subject you posted. Just that the original article didn't say much. Frankly, I've mostly given up on the splashy looking Yahoo Financial page. Whenever I click on their articles I'm disappointed in the underlying content. Lots of hat but few cattle there anymore. If I'm not mistaken, they've partnered with CNBC and that's probably part of the issue.

BTW: Really appreciated David's posting of the WashPost-Bezos story recently. A bit surprised there wasn't more discussion of that OT topic. Heck, without a vibrant and healthy press, none of the other really big issues facing us (educational, financial, political, etc.) is likely to be fully understood or properly addressed. Just my 2+2 cents. Regards
  • Reply to @hank: Question / Why does everyone need to go to college ? Peter's comment about his son is right on the money.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi hank,
    I agree, the article wasn't stellar. That is why I noted about the comments section, which I considered more worthy. Many times we learn more from the comment area, than from the original story. Heck, we all read many articles that never get posted here; as there is not enough substance, or at least new substance.
    Everything is a cumulative gathering of trinkets of knowledge from here and there, eh?
    Hey, get the winter clothes out for a few days. The north wind is very cool today and more so in your neck of the woods.
    Take care,
    Catch