Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Favorite Mutual Funds in each class?

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
Give me your favorite mutual funds in each class:

LG
LB
LV
MG
MB
MV
SG
SB
SV

International
Emerging Markets
L/S

Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2013
    LG: One of the PrimeCap funds
    LB: VDIGX (from the funds that are available to me)
    LV: VEIPX (ditto)
    Midcap: Never researched for exclusive midcap funds but hold AKREX and VASVX (a new addition)
    Smallcap: Never successfully found a good smallcap fund so far but hold ARIVX and Hennssey smallcap fund financial fund

International Lcap: ARTKX
    International M/S cap: Had some success with PRIDX but did not find a permanent solution so far; Not needed anymore with GPGOX in port but would like to have a good intl/glo small cap value. Any suggestions?

EM: Hold these AEMGX, SFGIX, MAPIX, WAFMX but none of them are favorite/high conviction funds

Glo Lcap: PQIDX, ARTGX
    Glo M/S cap: GPGOX

L/S: Never invested so far but hold PAUDX in alternatives section

• edited August 2013
    You have not asked but I am giving the following

Glo Allocation: No favorite but held GLBLX in the past as a poor man's substitute for much touted First Eagle, etc.:-)
    US based balanced funds: FPACX, PRWCX, OAKBX, VWELX

Sector:
    HLTH: PRHSX
    Financial: HSFNX
    Natural Resources: None

Bonds: Do not hold any of them but usual favorites of everyone; LSBRX, Doubleline, Metropoliton, TCW, etc.
  • Art
    edited August 2013
    How about what funds I have, I guess they are my favorites.

Art

LG
    LB
    LV-American Funds American Mutual (AMRMX)
    MG
    MB-Aston/Fairpointe Midcap (CHTTX)
    MV
    SG-Buffalo Emerging Opportunities (BUFOX)
    SB
    SV-Allianz NFJ Small Cap Value (PCVAX)

International-Oakmark Int (OARIX)
    Emerging Markets-Oppenheimer Dev Markets (ODMAX), Matthews Pacific Tiger(MAPTX)
    L/S-Marketfield (MFLDX)

FPA Crescent(FPACX) and IVA Worldwide (IVWIX) are keepers.

• edited August 2013
    Hi Carefree,

Pursuant to your request, here are my favorite funds by style classification. Some style classifications are left open as I have good style coverage with the ones I have listed as many of them offer multi style box coverage. An excerise I think beneficial if you would like to study these in more detail is to Xray them through Morningstar's Instant Xray analysis. And, fund fact sheets and other fund information is available through the fund companies. All of the below funds listed are A share funds, other share classes are available.

LG … SPECX
    LB … VADAX
    LV … FDSAX
    MG … open
    MB … open
    MV … HWMAX
    SG … ALFAX
    SB … KSDVX
    SV … PMDAX

INTL/GLOBAL … THOAX
    E/M … THDAX
    L/S … MFADX

In addition, one might reference the MFO Fund Ratings which is a list of funds that are rated based upon their performance and risk measure. I believe both David and Charles put a good deal of work into putting this reference information together. It is indeed worth a look and review. I tried to find a link to it but to no avail. Perhaps someone will be kind of enough to link it to this thread.

Found it, here is the link to David's thread that provides the MFO Fund Ratings information.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/7253/the-great-owl-funds

Good Investing,
    Skeeter

• LG open
    LB MAPOX
    LV open
    MG open
    MB open
    MV open
    SG open
    SB MSCFX
    SV open
    Int'l SFGIX
    Specialty: TRAMX (Africa/Mideast)
    Asia: MACSX and MAPIX
    bonds: MWTRX and DODIX
  • At a penny each, here is my two cents: (pigeonholed in a M* box of course)

LG: SEQUX, RWGFX
    LB: YACKX, FMIHX
    LV: GOODX, FAIRX
    MG: POAGX, AKREX
    MB: CHTTX, WEHIX
    MV: ARTQX, FAAFX
    SG: BCSIX, AUMIX
    SB: FSCRX, HSCSX
    SV: FCPVX, WSCVX

International: ARTKX, OAKIX
    Emerging Markets: ODMAX, WAEMX
    L/S: MFLDX, BPLEX