Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is Iowa a harbinger for the rest of the economy?

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
From here in the heartland farmland values have stopped going up after a relentless rise in prices, state tax receipts are flat, and most of all state fair attendance was way down this year to the point the Des Moines Register stopped publishing the fair daily attendance stats---just saying:).

Comments

• I thought it was texas, we are richer than cali now
    lol
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Hogan,

I used this data to help a friend with a determination about selling 600 arces of tillable land in North Dakota one year ago. Not unlike any agri. states, land values vary in areas due to the quality of the "dirt", water sources, etc.
    North Dakota is a bit different in the northwest areas from the Bakken basin area and all of the related energy fracking and the price run on those lands. The land being sold by this person was in the south-central area of ND and of average quality. The land sold for about $1,300/acre.
    Anyhoo......the USDA link above is very well done; and contains a lot of easy to view, and interesting data about farm land values; and is current for Aug., 2013.
    Lastly, crop land values did dip in MI after the financial crash; but from conversations with folks, those who could finance land purchases continued to obtain new holdings and prices have continued to move along nicely. I suspect the price moves have begun to push the limits; not unlike what we find in other investment areas. I have watched similar areas of interest in MI to try to get a feel for what folks are doing with their monies from their social actions. The last two years find folks filling many restaurants and tourist vacations by both MI and folks from other states appear to be in full gear. I have not looked at any MI data for real numbers regarding all of this.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @johnN:
    What does richer than CA mean? What data?
  • Dear Catch22: I didn't know you were a farmer at heart. Is this you in the Geico commercial ?
    Regards,
    Ted