Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Fund Times: Openings, Closings, Manager Changes

Comments

• edited August 2013
    * Fairholme Reopens to New Investors
    * AllianceBernstein Acquires Boutique Investment Management Firm
    * FPA Paramount Becomes Part of Firm's New Global Value Strategy
    * Fidelity Launching Short-Duration, High-Yield Fund
    * PIMCO Looks to Launch Managed-Futures Fund
    * Former Morningstar Fund Manager of the Year Jack Laporte Dies
  • Reply to @Investor: The linked M* Fund Times is dated today 8/22/13
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Ted: Having seen another article recently about re-opening of FAIRX, I thought this was a repost. I quickly realized my mistake and changed the post in a minute. I hoped nobody saw earlier post.
  • Outflows have continued this year at the Fairholme Fund, to the tune of about $90 million per month. And given past outflows, the fund's reopening is no guarantee that inflows will resume.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Investor: I like alternative strategies, but I've continued to say that managed futures works best in a hedge fund format, not a mutual fund format. The managed futures mutual funds have been either unimpressive or terrible. If Pimco is launching this fund because managed futures has traditionally held up well in downturns and they believe there is one imminent, whether or not their new fund will do so who knows. They can't be launching a managed futures fund because the category has been taking in heaps of new AUM - it's not exactly a "hot category". The Rydex Managed Futures fund (the original one) has improved somewhat, but only after an overhaul of the fund's strategy.