Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual funds. Buy,trade hold or sell?

Art
edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
A few of the discussions of late have been about trading investment vehicles or buy and hold as strategies. I was curious about my habits so I did some research. I am always tweaking with my funds trying to add my own positive "Alpha".

Most of my 17 funds have been held for 3 years or less. I have managed to hold on to a few over the years. What about you?

OARIX-since 2001
PCVAX-since 2001
MAPTX-since 2006
FPACX-since 2008

Art

Comments

• Hi Art.

Just one long term holding:

DODBX - since 2003
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Art. Of 16 currently held, 8 have been held 10 years or more:

- Growth: OPPAX
    - Balanced: DODBX
    - Moderate Allocation: PRWCX, OAKBX, TRRIX
    - Income: OIBAX, DODIX, CVSIX

• Core holdings for over 10-20 years.
    YACKX, HAINX, MDISX, FLPSX, LSBRX, VWELX, PRHSX, RNWGX, VINIX

Others I hold for shorter period, while ETFs and several individual stocks are for trading purpose.
  • edited August 2013
    My "core" holdings, I don't suppose, are truly CORE funds, designed to be such.
    Long term holdings: MACSX since 2003
    MAPIX..........2009
    PREMX.........2010

However, I plan to stick with what I've got now, long-haul. That includes TRAMX, MAINX, SFGIX, DLFNX, MAPOX and MSCFX. I won't hold and hold for no reason, if the world is going all feces, but I don't pull the switch-eroo very often at all.
  • Reply to @Sven: Check RNWGX. From what I can tell, it did not exist prior to 2009.
  • Reply to @hank: RNWGX became available in my 401(K) plan in 2002 when the options were expanded. The front-loaded A share has been around for a long time, while the R6 share class American funds are only available to institutional plans. Same goes for MDISX where the R class has ER even lower than that of the Z class I have.
  • Reply to @hank: You are correct. The share class is R5, RNWFX, not R6. The inception date is May 15, 2002.
    finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=RNWFX+Profile
  • Reply to @Sven: Thanks For the correction. The R5 (RNWFX) looks like a very fine fund!
  • Since 2005
    ---------
    VHGEX

Since 2006
    ---------
    ARTKX (Taxable)
    FPACX (Taxble, added to IRA later)
    VDIGX
    OAKBX (Taxable, sold in 2013)
  • In round numbers:

20+ yrs: index funds in index-only 401k (like I had a choice)
    10 yrs: PRBLX, ARTKX
    5+ yrs: MACSX
    Everything else, less than those.