Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Merger of Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund into Leuthold Core Investment Fund

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
Includes other information also.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1000351/000089710113001279/leuthold133732_497.htm

...The Board of Directors of the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund, a series of Leuthold Funds, Inc., has approved a proposal for the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund to be acquired by the Leuthold Core Investment Fund, another series of the company. In connection with the acquisition, all of the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund’s assets will be transferred to the Leuthold Core Investment Fund, and shareholders of the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund will receive shares of the Leuthold Core Investment Fund in exchange for their shares, on a tax-free basis. The acquisition does not require approval of the shareholders of the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund, but shareholders of the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund may redeem their shares prior to the acquisition. The acquisition is expected to occur in October of this year, and the expenses of the acquisition will be borne by Leuthold Weeden Capital Management, the investment adviser to the Funds.

The company will file a prospectus on a Form N-14 Registration Statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission in connection with the proposed acquisition. The definitive prospectus will be sent to shareholders of the Leuthold Asset Allocation Fund. Shareholders are urged to read the definitive prospectus when it becomes available, because it will contain important information about the proposed acquisition...

Comments

• NOW they figured this out. They were essentially same but their Equity Selections I thought were based on two different strategies. Seems to me they are abandoning one strategy...
  • edited August 2013
    So many fund shops have such funds, duplicating each other.
    I am surprised to see even Trow doing it. Why you need a Global Technology when you have a Science & Technology. They have also started Trow Price Overseas fund in spite of having Trow Price International Growth and Income fund with both of them pretty much with the same objective. They started some of these funds, IMO, to retain the talent (to make them mgrs), otherwise they would have left for greener pastures (to become Mgr elsewhere).

Vanguard is exactly opposite in many instances. Why can't they start a Commodity fund (I mean, an index fund, not an active natural resources fund) ?
    Why they think they are the best judges of how investors should invest ? Ridiculous, in my opinion. I am not asking them to start a Frontier fund, an Asia fund, an Asia ex-Japan, etc.

Just some basic cateogories like, Commodity fund, a Multi-sector bond fund, an International actively managed or indexed smallcap value fund, etc.
  • I think Vanguard does the "easy" stuff well. They start doing the "hard" stuff, they will start messing up. Worse they will become like OTHER fund shops. I think Vanguard and TRP are in their own happy place, and I think its a win for investors. Fidelity and American Century started experimenting too much and are not helping themselves or investors.