Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Tinkering Too Much With Your Portfolio Won't Pay Off

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Quoting: "Investors who are attracted to online brokerages offering cut-rate trading commissions should take note, Abel points out. "I think the lesson from this is that even if costs are small or modest, very frequent adjustment is unwarranted," he says. Even with commissions as low as $5 a trade -- a level provided by some deep-discount brokerages -- it would probably not pay to adjust a portfolio more often than every month or two, he estimates. "Even a tiny cost like that -- $5 -- is enough to prevent [any benefit from] continuous, or highly frequent transactions."

I myself don't just "set it and forget it." But I make very rare changes. Not measured in months, but YEARS. The new investors in here will read this thing, I hope. If you've done your homework and have chosen wisely, what need can there be to make changes OFTEN???