Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trading Your 401(k) Account: How Bright Can It Be ?

Comments

• Good article. Reminded me the outcome of trading service that Roy (FundAlarm) has used for a while. It was all backtested performance that did not match reality and when it did not work they came out with another back tested strategy.
  • I actually knew of someone who use this type of service. The strategy failed on several fronts in 2008, and that client went completely into bond and cash even into today. As we all discussed here that successful market timing requires two consecutive correct calls. How many of us can do it consistently throughout a market cycle? I for sure is not one of them; hence I stick with a balanced and diversified portfolio.
  • edited September 2013
    I do some technical ANALysis to manage invested % in my 401k. Nothing fancy, and nothing like 10 Month SMA crossover. And I make sure I don't run afoul of "trading violations". I average 10 changes a year. I'm happy with what I'm doing.