Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Do You Think of New Low-Volatility ETFs?

edited July 2011 in Fund Discussions
Interesting M* article on new SPLV, LVOL and SLVY ETFs. What do you think about these?
http://search.morningstar.com/sitesearch/search.aspx?s=o&q=recent+crop+of+new+etfs

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I think they may have a place with conservative investors. I'm a little skeptical of "low volatility" (over the long-term), as I would be with "stable value" (to use one of those "believe us, it's conservative"-type terms), but if it works, it works.

I haven't been overjoyed with it recently, but I'm sticking with GTAA (which appears to be expanding in scope as management indicated it would previously) in the conservative ETF spot, as I like the concept and management. In terms of a conservative play, GTAA can in theory go entirely to cash (and can hedge slightly otherwise) if the environment warranted. It has the ability to go from 0-60 and back again, but I think - in a way similar to managed futures - the fund may not be able to keep up with significant short-term swings and is best with at least a consistent mid-term trend. You do get a fund that can look one way one month and be entirely different the next.

GTAA = Cambria Global Tactical.
  • edited July 2011
    Reply to @scott: Thanks, Scott, for your usual informative response. GTAA looks interesting - it would be so nice to have a fund "do it all" in terms of making regular changes in this market that seems to me to have absolutely no relation to reality - especially if they, on average, do a good job at it.
  • Reply to @Investor: Thanks for reposting your link, Investor. I apparently missed that one - and very interesting.