Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Our Funds Boat, week, +.51%, YTD, +5.36%, no changes, EOM, 7-9-11

edited July 2011 in Fund Discussions
Take care of you and yours,

Catch

Comments

• hi catch
    what do plan to do when rates increased and eq2 endings. are you concerned about debt ceiling and many other blackswans out there? are you concerned about double dip? what is the best strategies to protect your 100% bond portfolio asset?
    thanks
    have a good weekend
  • Hi John,

You wrote:
    "what do plan to do when rates increased and eq2 endings.
    >>>>>If rates are increasing in the U.S., hopefully this would be because of stronger economic activity and the result of folks actually borrowing money again, etc; or the bond vigilantes are slamming the debt problem. QE2 is officially ended, but not other actions available to the Fed for keeping rates low. The last thing Mr. Bernanke wants is deflation...

are you concerned about debt ceiling and many other blackswans out there?
    >>>>>I was concerned about the "debt" from many, many years ago. However, the greater problem today with the debt and the debt ceiling is the individual and business strength and ability to support these two items....as I have noted before, this in not my grandparents or parents economy, nor the one I started and have worked in. The "credit card" is far overspent. As to black swans, well I suspect many of us watch for these. The trick will be knowing when one has arrived and how soon one may take actions to protect the investment assets.

are you concerned about double dip? what is the best strategies to protect your 100% bond portfolio asset?"
    >>>>>I suppose a double dip would have to be in the eyes of the beholder or economist. Would it require a market melt as in 2008? I still believe the recovery road will be slow and could dip to some other lower point that would keep many unhappy. As to our portfolio, it has not been 100% bonds for some time and the MFO link just below will take you to last weeks post that you may have missed which includes an M* view of our portfolio. As far as a strategy to protect our portfolio......the mix in place is designed to protect and/or preserve our capital. If a melt shows its ugly head, one may only hope to be in sync with this and take appropriate actions. The 2008 melt favored either cash or Treasury issues. I don't know that this would be much different again.

Regards,
    Catch

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/757/our-funds-boat-week-.77-ytd-4.85-xray-7-3-11/p1