Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Such a "dream" 401k I can only wish for.....LIP

edited July 2011 in Off-Topic
Howdy,

Such a "dream" 401k I can only wish for....especially the end of this short write and the access to Fido.

http://intelretiree.com/2011/07/09/intel-401k-investment-changes/

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Maurice,

Replies not in order of your posted thoughts............

We have the Fido brokerage accts for both types of IRA's. The only exceptions for some funds is higher limits to buy into a given fund and/or lack of an institutional class of a particular fund and/or funds that have a front load that one would like to own and those fees are wavied inside most 401k/403b plans. Other than these items, one has full access to about 6,500 funds, besides anything else that falls under a brokerage acct choice(s)..........etfs, cefs, individual stocks, etc.

As to Mr. Carlin. I recall the old tv/gov't commercial about "this is your brain on drugs" and the scrambled egg in the fry pan. I will say that for those who understand Mr. Carlin's ability to cut through the crap and view the common sensical; your brain on Carlin image would resemble radiating beams of enlightment from one's head.:):):) Had Mr. Carlin had proper training, I suspect he could have been very good at investments. The greatest of the comedians are/were very intelligent folks. So, no; your brain is not "scrambled" from Mr. Carlin; only being rearranged into a different mode of thought...."descrambled !:):):)

I won't disagree about the privacy items you mentioned. And, of course; everyone and his brother are getting the "hack" job these days. This house won't be storing any data in the "clouds" any time soon. Anything from the pc at this house that is personal and/or critical goes onto a memory stick and remains safe in a fire proof vault.

I do believe any of the "advisors" for retirement plans are held harmless from any wrong doing or misinformation.

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited July 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gee, Maurice; I really would like to share the vault info with you, BUT I don't "Tweet". Imagine that, that I am stuck in the world of investments and making decent money while so many personal friends and family members want me to "Tweet" or read their Facebook entries of their recent trip to the Dairy Queen. I must be an old fart !

Now, I am being a little picky with the above; but while they are apparently having some fun; which we all need, I know they are not "Tweeting" or "Facebooking" about the problems before them and our country.

Thanks for the update on the personal info aspect.

In addition to the above about the vault, I must disclose that in the late 1960's I worked with Air America (CIA) in the Far East and still have connections. So, I could tell you "things" about the vault (location, etc.) but you must understand that you would be surveilled for the remainder of your natural life.....:):):):):) A possible worse situation than having one's cloud computing storage of personal data, hacked.

Ok, I really should be doing me chores; but first, one more link to post.

Regards,
    Catch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2011
    I think it is decent for them to offer financial advice and an option for brokerage access (self directed 401k) to purchase stocks, funds, etc. that is not offered by the plan.

In my current job I have a similar arrangement but instead Advice is provided via Financial Engines (and I like to be able to use this free) and access to JP Morgan Retirement Brokerage Service ( http://www.retirementbrokerage.com ) I think it is even better than Fidelity because for mutual funds JPM does not impose additional holding periods like Cisco. Only the fund holding period is applicable. But web site is a bit less refined than Fidelity.

I also have access to Financial Engines via an older 401k plan I still hold through Vanguard. I do not have the concerns of Maurice regarding Financial Engines though. I am not sure why Twitter and Facebook got into this discussion either. I see no relevance to this subject.