Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Whitebox - Which is the Long Short fund

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
Whitebox "says" its long short fund is the long short fund with the words "long short" in it. M* thinks otherwise. Who should I trust. My gut says trust Whitebox.

Comments?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Whitebox Long Short is actually market neutral...M* and WB are in agreement. See David's recent profile. So, ignore name.

Whitebox Tactical Opportunities is actually long/short...M* and WB are in agreement (after Whitebox management appealed to M* editorial board...it was previously aggressive allocation). But it's a hard fund to categorize since it has so much versatility. Long/short is pretty accurate today, but tomorrow, who knows. Its two benchmarks are disparate: SPX and Aggregate Bonds. I personally, however, will likely hold it to more of a balanced fund reference, like VBINX. I think that currently, putting it in long/short category will make the fund look pretty good from ER and performance perspectives.
  • Whitebox partner on CNBC this morning. Click the link below, and there should be a small video in the article below, "Finding the Market's Sweet Spots."

I wouldn't recommend Long/Short, but I do continue to like Tactical Opportunities. My favorite alternative fund remains Marketfield, although the original shares of that fund are no longer available.
  • edited September 2013
    err... what link?

Also I see this on WB site.

The investment objective of Whitebox Tactical Opportunities Fund (the "Fund") is to provide investors with a combination of capital appreciation and income that is consisten with prudent investment management.

The Fund seeks to provide investors with a positive return regardless of the direction and fluctuations of the U.S. equity markets.

Seriously, which from the above looks like L/S fund? If I buy WB, I'm still leaning toward the latter. Charles is right. Tactical is balanced. It will behave like one and I'm all "balanced out", if you get my drift.
  • Reply to @Charles: Right here is the problem. Whitebox has to appeal to M*. Like Monsanto truck can drive by farm not using genetically modified seed, and then farmer has to prove he didn't infringe upon patent going bankrupt in the process OR buy Monsanto seed for every harvest (since crop is not seed).

Classic.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak:

Here is the link! Mr. Twitchel pretty much defines tactical in the last minute.Quick acting on specific opportunities.The fund's not for everyone, but just the term "hedge fund"in the adviser's history should peek your interest.I own the Tactical Fund.It is available with a very low minimum both initial and subsequent in IRA accounts @TD.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000200743&__source=yahoo%7Cheadline%7Cquote%7Cvideo%7C&par=yahoo&ei=Mhk9UofkGorIyAG8vYCwBg&usg=AFQjCNHSfCGY5QPFXtpMjLQNTHgp5-F6xQ&sig2=GOhbSontTbgUSo0z0HAZ-g&bvm=bv.52434380,d.aWc
  • I don't recall things going my way any time I "break"' my own rules. ARCNX is good example. I swore off narrowly focused funds. Then I let myself get hoodwinked.

With Whitebox, with no manager investment, I find myself at similar crossroads. Need to think.