Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Closing Bell ! S&P 500 Post Longest Losing Streak This Year

TedTed
edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
FYI :UP: Telecoms , S&P 400, Bonds, Energy, Financials, Gold. Down: Rut 2000, S&P 500 & 600, Utilities, Health Care
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sp-500-posts-longest-losing-streak-this-year-2013-09-25-1691242/print?guid=88617C7B-9211-408C-9FBD-5CD9F4F61B70

Indexes & Sector ETFs
http://finance.yahoo.com/portfolio/pf_13/view/v2

Comments

• These down days are gettin' old.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @Desota: The down move happened after a very negative report regarding Wal-Mart, which was later denied (although it didn't seem like people believed the denial and this isn't the first time this year Wal-Mart has had to come out and deny a negative report on how things are going.)
  • ? Connected to the various efforts to get people to boycott WalMart until they start treating their employees like PEOPLE? I dare to ask...
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: I think it's a matter of either that customer is not doing well, Wal-Mart is having issues (I don't get Costco as much as some people do, but I think Costco continues to pick up business) or some combination of the two. I like Target a lot as a shopping experience, but never have thought of it as a compelling investment. Wal-Mart has maybe gotten too large for its own good.

Additionally, I actually really like Kohl's (not as investment, but shopping experience.)

On a completely different side of things, I think it's a matter of WHAT people are buying, and people are prioritizing tech and a couple of other segments and I think that doesn't play to WMT as much as it does BBY and AMZN. People are buying home improvement (although I think that's a bit played out), which plays to HD and Lowes.

Edited to add: WMT negative, but Bed Bath and Beyond (which - another thing I don't get, I think you can find better things elsewhere for cheaper - I think their constant promo coupons they send out are the thing that drives traffic) comes out with good numbers after hours.