Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited September 2013
    A lot of these stocks are likely over/richly valued, but you have an economy that has increasingly become an information economy based heavily on the extraordinary move in mobile technology. Data has become a commodity like oil. I don't think that people should jump into something like Facebook or Yelp, but I continue to think that you can look at telecoms for exposure and a decent dividend. RCI and BCE are Canadian telecoms that have part ownerships of Toronto sports teams, among other things (BCE has some media rights in their Bell Media subsidiary.)

Are phones expensive? Yes. Are phone plans expensive? Yes. However, it is more and more clear that people are making both a priority, likely over other things.
  • edited September 2013
    Interesting - But, didn't these things go WAY WAY UP and than WAY WAY DOWN back around late 90s-2000?

A few will become the next Amazons or Google. Many will crater. As for bandwidth, I believe it will only become cheaper as technology advances.

Bit off topic - but by way of tracking technology consumer prices, does anyone recall what they paid for their first computer?. We recall $1,600.00 for a Toshiba laptop in '96 that couldn't hold a candle to anything available today for a few hundred bucks. Didn't even have wifi. lol

• edited September 2013
    Reply to @hank: From 1999: Qualcomm jumps on $1,000 price target.
    http://news.cnet.com/Qualcomm-jumps-on-1,000-price-target/2100-1033_3-234996.html

Stock is now $69. However, I think it's a very interesting company and offers a decent dividend.

There will be a number of social media stocks in this round that will probably not be around in a few years and a few that will continue to do well. Still, many of them have performed ridiculously well for companies that are still finding their way (Yelp, for example, which is not turning a profit.)
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @hank:
    In 1987, a little bit less than $3,000 for a NEC with 750K? of ram memory, a 20 meg hard drive, 14" monitor, printer, software and a few other pieces. I drove to the metro Detroit area to "find" this amazing device. The software user manuals (2) were very large and "explained" how to use "MS-DOS", version 3.2. Now, one only receives a small pamphlet showing the power button and a few other initial treatments and/or buttons. Everything else to know about the product, I find as tutorials at Youtube.

1987 NEC pc Click upon image for a larger view of the system.
  • Reply to @scott: Not my cup of tea.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Div & Yield:
    1.40 (2.00%)
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @catch22: Ha! In 1985 my grandfather spent a comparable amount on one of these bad boys: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_512K. They sold it as "portable" and it came with a case.

Now 87, my grandfather has been a mac/Apple consumer ever since. And a stockholder for some time too.