Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Long haul....which one.

edited October 2013 in Fund Discussions
MAPIX or SFGIX? Currently own MAPIX, but somewhat concerned with Mr. Madsen's departure even though they have a deep bench. I like SFGIX broader investing universe though...and it's small size. It's going in a Roth.

Comments

• I got in early with SFGIX (my account number is under 20 - never been that low before) and I've made $20 - up less than 1% on $2500. (Not a lot of $$ in, but I also put my son's 401K in , and I have some non-403b money in a private account.) Bought one of his stocks -SQM, which did poorly, doubled down and still neg, but there's some hope. Fairly early in GPROX (using money from GPGOX - up 46% so far); up 5% in less time. I'd either split the money, were I you, leaving half behind in MAPIX (which I also have a bit of) or split between SFGIX and GPROX (more flexible) or GPGOX (a winner so far). If I did this, I'd give Mr. Foster the smaller amount. Or you could just go with the Grandeur Peak firm; they have a better early record. Active management should matter in the ex-US and small or all-cap segment, but Mr. Foster has some ground to make up.
  • Yes, I own both MAPIX and SFGIX. If I had a cash cache (wink) I would be adding to SFGIX in small increments, because it really has not "taken off," yet. It's due. Maybe overdue. I have MUCH more in MAPIX... In SFGIX, I invested only $3,000.00 and have made just 11.84% since sometime last year, when I bought-into it. That's not awful, by any means. But I'm looking for more, and waiting for it to happen.
  • Thanks...I already own GPGOX, and am very happy with it. I also become concerned when firms put out multiple new funds at the height of a market....Asia Focus, Emerging Asia. I was a fan of Wasatch until they started to do the same thing.....what are your thoughts on MNDFX, CEFZX, and SEMFX?
  • edited October 2013
    I could not intelligently offer anything, sorry. I know what you mean about the proliferation of "niche" funds--- right at a Market-Top, to attract "dumb money."
  • Shifted to GPROX largely because "it was the fund we always wanted to run" or something similar, and it would have a smaller asset base and I thought a somewhat broader mandate, so one wouldn't need to decide which sectors were out of favor, if one was trying to "time " the market. Don't know how long the "haul" will be. Haven't considered the other funds you mention.
    When I last looked at my Manning and Napier fund, it looked like an index value fund would have done better (or as well at less expense). Columbia and Scout are both good names, which I've never owned. Long term, one should pick the lowest ER.
  • On second thought, of the two, pick the medium cap fund versus the large cap = Columbia. Probably better class to be in for the long term.
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: Hi Max. You have used that phrase before, SFGIX has not 'taken off'. Not sure what your expectations are for this fund. If, and I believe it is, modeled after the Mathews fund MACSX, it probably will never be a high flier leading the EM category in up markets. It will likely be a steady-eddie fund that proves it's worth more in down markets and will shine over the long haul. Over the last year it is rated in the top 20% in it's category. That's pretty good.

The comparison to MAPIX to me is apples and oranges. If you want the manager to decide where value exists over the entire globe, SFGIX is better suited. If you want an Asia only large cap dividend producing stock fund, use MAPIX. SFGIX has a whole lot more flexibility.