Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What would you do with $2k / mo?

edited November 2013 in Fund Discussions
I recently paid of my mortgage and am trying to figure out how to handle the $2k a month that I used to but into it. One thought I had, which I posted about on the morningstar forums, is to take some of the money and DCA it into the most volatile, best-prospect fund I could find and just let it go. I was trying to come up with some ideas for that. This would be in a taxable account, so POAGX, one thought I had, is out and PRNHX, another goody, is closed. Any ideas?
At $24k a year in all, this would not be, at the start, be a major part of my portfolio, less than 3%. Given that, what would you do in my shoes, either with a part or with the whole?
edit: Actually, I just saw that I can buy PRNHX at Vanguard ... so that is a possibility.

Comments

• If you have earned income, do you have a Roth IRA that some of this money could go towards; or are you maxed out with a Roth annual contribution?
  • I have a SEP IRA which I routinely fund at the max from annual savings but not a Roth ...
  • If you're looking at the $2K/month as "found money", to play around with, then Las Vegas might be the answer. But, if you're like me, and working just as hard for it now as when making mortgage payments, you probably don't want to risk it on "luck". I'd be applying it to a no-load, low-expense, index fund. MarketWatch just published this article:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/almost-no-one-can-beat-the-market-2013-10-25?siteid=nwhfunds
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @linter:
    I am not an accountant; but it is my understanding that you may have both a SEP and Roth IRA. Income levels could disallow a Roth IRA; and as noted previous, a Roth would not cover all of your available monies.
    Note: a "spousal" Roth could receive some of this money, too.

Beyond the above, I won't offer any allocation thoughts; as you have already established an aggressive position with this money.
    This link is for aggressive allocation funds.
  • edited November 2013
    Congratulations on paying off your home mortgage that is indeed an accomplishment. One of the things that you have not shared with us is the source of funds that you used to pay off the mortgage. Is it coming from the portfolio? Or, is it from earned income? Or, perhaps a gift/inherited money?

Based upon the information provided, I think this puts principal value of the portfolio at about 840K. With this, what is the portfolio’s asset allocation? What is its target allocation? What goal(s) are you looking to achieve? What is your age? If close to or retired … Do you have ample cash accrued for several years of living expense? What is your risk tolerance?

These are some questions that came to me in thinking out what I’d do with an extra $2,000.00 a month. Perhaps in visiting these above questions, and some others, this will help you determine whether you should be a saver, an investor or perhaps even a trader with this money.

Something to think through … Don’t you think?

Good Investing,
    Skeeter
  • Hey, Skeeter ... Well, the payoff money came in through the window, via a bequest I didn't even know existed until two weeks ago. Crazy. And I have $80k left over from it to add to my portfolio. I'm 59 and don't think I'll ever totally retire, unless, of course, I'm put out to pasture but I'm self employed so I'd be the one pasteurizing me. I have cash stashed for an emergency. My portfolio is pretty close to where I want it. About 50% of it is in moderate allocation funds (OAKBX, PVSYX, etc) and about 20% is in cash, which I prefer over bond funds. The other 30% is more or less evenly divided among global funds like ARTGX, emerging market funds like THDIX and WAFMX, and health-related things like PRHSX, BBH and POAGX, with a bit of small cap thrown in for good measure, via HDPSX.
    I'm a big saver and am currently able to sock away about 30% of my annual income.
    I plan to DCA at least half of the 2k a month into my moderate allocation funds. But I would like to maybe try something a little different with a bit of it.
    What do ya'll think?
  • edited November 2013
    So good fortune found you ...

Well, you can be somewhat conservative with it and split it across your portfolio based upon your present asset allocation if it fits your risk tolerance. I believe though in the current investment environment I’d put it to work on a dollar cost average basis if doing this. Or, if you feel you want to become a more aggressive investor/trader you might wish to incorporate a self directed trading strategy within your portfolio and manage it yourself. I, at times, do this myself.

I have linked some sites below that you might find of interest.

Ron Rowland, I believe to be a former fund manager, offers a timing strategy which I have linked below.

http://investwithanedge.com/leadership-strategy

In addition, there is a timing strategy offered by the Decision Moose which I have also linked.

http://decisionmoose.com/Moosistory.html

Or, you may wish to venture out on your own and school up on technical analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_analysis

Whichever route (savings, investing or trading), or a combination thereof, you choose to transverse, I wish you the very best with these endeavors. It is your money and you sould hold yourself accountable with your choices and not others by making suggestions for you to consider. What might be right for them might not be for you. With that, you should do your own due diligence on any suggestion offered before investing any money. After all, I am just an investor much as most of the others on the board. And with this, I'd govern with some caution.

Again, I wish you the very best.

Skeeter
  • I'm trying to understand your thinking on taxes. Primecap Odyssey Growth has a very low turnover (14%), very low tax cost ratios (0.34% or less 1/3/5 year), and less in unrealized cap gains (32.64%) than New Horizons (45.34%). New Horizons has a higher (albeit still quite low) turnover rate of 35% and higher tax cost ratios (0.79% or more 1/3/5 year).

It's somewhat difficult to make sense out of the embedded cap gains, since many (most?) funds will have large distributions this year that may reduce those figures significantly. In any case, I wouldn't start investing until they have their annual cap gains distributions.

That said, I did a quick search for funds with moderate to low (under 75%) turnover, five year tax cost ratios under 1% and three year under 0.75%, and cap gains exposure under 50% (which is still huge). I threw in expenses under category average, and excluded bond funds. (That latter one, when one excludes muni bonds, kicks out a lot of funds.)

Keep in mind that this screen automatically excludes funds under five years old.

Next, you wanted something with high volatility - I added a three year standard deviation over 15 (based on the funds you suggested).

To prune further, I added the following screens:
    - drop the bottom 10% (1* funds - past bad performance has persistence, even if past good performance does not)
    - drop sector funds, single nation funds (China, Japan)
    - dropped leveraged funds (Direxion, ProFunds Ultra/Inverse, Direxion 2X, Rydex 2X - these showed up as Trading-Leveraged Equities - might meet your paramters, but you're on your own here.

This left about 375 funds. Flipping through them quickly by category (and using my own knowledge of what's open and available NL, either inherently or via brokerage platforms, and also applying my own arbitrary judgment as well as past performance), here are some possibilities by category. Note that the only ones I'm really comfortable with are Pacific/Asian, Foreign Large Blend, MidCap Growth (POAGX), Small Blend (maybe), World

Emerging Markets (27 funds passed screen): Schroder EM Equity Adv (SEMVX)
    Pacific/Asian (3 funds): Matthews Asia Growth Inv (MPACX)
    Europe (3): TRPrice European (PRESX)
    Foreign Large Bl (44): Artisan Int'l Inv (ARTIX), Harbor Int'l Inv (HIINX)
    Foreign Large Gr (16): Scout Int'l (UMBWX)
    Foreign Large Value (10): RidgeWorth Int'l Equity I (STITX - NTF/low min via brokers)
    Foreign Small/Mid Bl (4): Vanguard Int'l Expl (VINEX - the only one of the four avail NL to retail investors)
    Foreign Small/Mid Gr (7): Wasatch Int'l Gr (WAIGX; ARTJX is closed)
    Large Blend (3): Janus Contrarian (JSVAX - the only NL one avail to retail investors; note: not advised, as it recently lost its excellent managers)
    Large Growth (20): Principal Large Cap Growth I, Class A (PLGAX - NTF/load-waived at Fidelity)
    Large Value (12): Sound Shore (SSHFX)
    Latin America (2): JPMorgan Latin America A (JLTAX - NTF/load-waived via brokers)
    Mid Blend (22): Fidelity Leveraged Co (FLVCX), or any extended market index fund
    Mid Growth (35): POAGX
    Mid Value (17): Hotchkiw & Wiley Mid Cap Value A (HWMAX - NTF/load-waived at Fidelity)
    Pacific/Asia ex-Japan (1): none avail NL
    Small Blend (58): Homestead (HSCSX) for concentrated fund, Glenmede Small Cap Equity (GTCSX) for more diversified
    Small Growth (42): TRP Diversified Small Cap (TRSSX; ARTSX is closed)
    Small Value (30): Skyline Special Equities (SKSEX - a bit pricey at 1.32%)
    World (27): Artisan Global Opp (ARTRX - finally, an open Artisan fund, and less expensive than ARTGX), Oakmark Global/Global Select (OAKGX, OAKWX)

To summarize, I'd focus on MPACX, ARTIX, ARTRX, OAKGX, OAKWX, HIINX, POAGX, and maybe HSCSX, GTCSX. (If you have over $100K in combined Artisan funds, their closed funds are available to you as well.)

• edited November 2013
    Yep - paying off mortgages is a two edged sword, especially if it was fixed-rate and 4% or less. There's good points to be made on both sides. Without your age and circumstances, it's hard to advise. Most markets today look quite heady, so plowing a large amount into equities, junk bonds, or investment grade bonds looks problematic. Obviously the longer you have until retirement (assuming that's the purpose) the more risk you can afford to take. We did a cash-out refi 3 years ago (at around 3%) and invested the cash into our overall retirement mix. Some has done quite well in EXTAX. Some is in high yield munis. Some in cash.

The advice you received to DCA in is not bad advice. Your desire to go very aggressive needs to be considered in light of how you, or you and your significant other, would react in the event of a prolonged market downturn. Such funds could easily loose 30-40% of their value over a 1 or 2 year period. So, sort that out in your mind before taking on such aggressive investments.

Perhaps already mentioned, but doing a Roth conversion out of a traditional IRA (partial each year) and using the $$ to cover taxes is another idea. Here I'd go easy too, as conversions make more sense when markets appear undervalued. But a Roth has a great many advantages.
  • Simple: with $2,000.00/month to play with: RETIRE.
  • The 2k a month, which was previously used to pay off and pay down my mortgage, comes from my earnings, so, sadly, I can't retire.
    I know the market is way high and I'm not planning to do anything right away with my 20% cash position. And I may even trim some of the holdings in my existing portfolio.
    So, in a sense, this 2k (or whatever) DCA is a separate entity hopefully intended to buy in markets both good and bad, in markets both bull and bear, etc. Otherwise, what's the point of continuous DCAing, right? What I'm trying to find now are logical vehicles ...

msf: i used the Lipper numbers for the tax implications. POAGX got a 3, I think, and New Horizons got a 1. thank you for looking deeper for me and for that list of possible funds. looks like a number of good ones in there for me to check out!