Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Retirees May Need To Tighten Their Belts

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Nominally, if a retired couple had $1 million in traditional IRA accounts (rollover 401k's, etc.) after age 70.5 years (both the same age); the required minimum distribution would force a withdrawal of about $35,000 in the next tax year, whether the couple needed or wanted the money or not.

Now to outside clean up and check for other damage after the violent storm front Sunday evening with 65 mph in our area.
  • Reply to @catch22:

Stay safe Catch...my understanding is that the age RMD is triggered hasn't ever been adjusted upward, maybe it should be. Average age of death is now 78, not 74. Maybe RMD should be 74 for a 4 year recapture of taxes. Basically, tax need to be collected on tax deferred contributions and the potential growth of IRAs.

I'm in the camp that the contribution should be taxed as earned income (which it would have been originally if it wasn't placed into an IRA), but the deferred growth in IRAs should be taxed more like it is in taxable accounts (as long term capital gains). Fairness is the key when it comes to taxation.

RMD will shift dollars from IRA accounts into individual taxable accounts and government tax collection accounts.
  • Reply to @bee: The simplified method of computing RMDs (i.e. most people just use Table III - joint life expectancy) came into effect in 2001.

Here's Pub 590 from that year: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p590--2001.pdf
    Here's the current Pub 590: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf

In 2001(see p. 87), someone aged 70 was required to divide by 26.2.
    In 2012 (see p. 109), that divisor had been increased to 27.4.

So the tables have changed. Not recently, though - I spot checked 2008 and found the same values in Table III as in the current Pub 590.

Also, be careful when you talk about average life expectancy. The tables reflect the average life expectancy for someone living at that particular age. That's why the divisor doesn't drop a full year for someone one year older. The longer you live, the higher your expected age of death becomes.

(Note: for nonspouse inherited IRAs, one does reduce the divisor by one year each year, but that's not a recalculated life expectancy, just a tax rule.)
  • Interesting. If you live longer you're expected to die later. Good thing we have the government to figure that sort of stuff out for us.
  • Say the average life expectancy (at birth) is 78. Now consider all the 80 year olds (who are alive:-)). Surely they are all expected to live past 78. So by living longer they have extended their average life expectancy.