Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Flight from bonds? And fear of upcoming taper?

US aggregate bonds still 1-2% below their 10-mo average and about 5% below last year's peak:

• Although, one young US multi-sector bond fund seems to be off to a very good start, evidently implementing the very "Steady Eddy" strategy we've come to expect...Mr. Sherman's RiverPark Strategic Income RSIIX:

• edited November 2013
    My thoughts on bonds currently reinforced by Mr. Rekenthaler:
    In my portfolio, I hold cash rather than bonds. I don't wish to lock into yields at today's low rates. If I were in bonds, though, the presentation suggests that I: own intermediate-term issues rather than long bonds; favor high-quality corporates over Treasuries; and consider other assets, stocks included, as a hedge against further rate increases.
    JIC, here is link to his good article of 27 Nov (posted earlier by Linkster Ted as well):

Thoughts for Today's Bond Market - Preparing for rising interest rates.
  • For someone in the top tax bracket in NY or CA, some muni state bond CEFs have a tax equivalent yield of 15%. These are not "low rates" historically.