Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

observations after an uglier day in the day (08/04)

The same cast of strong SCV funds that held up Wednesday also held up Thursday: Pinnacle Value (PVFIX), Aston / River Road Independent Value (ARIVX), Intrepid Small Cap (ICMAX) and Queens Road SCV (QRSCX).

The "frontier" markets, on average, outperformed emerging markets again.

Most of the Matthews funds again finished in the top ten, with Asia Dividend (MAPIX) leading the diversified Asia group and Asian Growth & Income (MACSX) posting the firm's smallest loss (2.73%).

In income, DoubleLine continue to lead (despite whatever distraction the increasingly heated legal dispute is having) while Driehaus continued to trail.

Hussman is having his day in the sun, with a 1.3% gain in Strategic Growth (HSGFX) while Strategic Total Return (HSTRX) finished in the top 4% of the day and the top 1% for the week, month and quarter.

Bruce Berkowitz, not so much.

For what interest it holds, I added to Artisan Small Cap Value, and Price's Blue Chip and New Era funds today. Most of my fund is on auto-pilot (for the 1st and 15th of the month) but I wanted to move money into some of my harder-hit equity holdings. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    In terms of frontier markets, look at the list of people (former US Sec of State Madeline Albright, Soros, part of the World Bank and the Rothschilds) backing this African telecom company. I do think it's worth consideration of a little bit of money for the long-term in these areas. (I do own RIT Capital Partners.)

http://www.htghana.com/index.php/about/our_investors

In terms of funds, FPA Crescent (2.52%) held up fine, but Ivy Asset (-5+%) and Blackrock Allocation (3.2% down) not so much.
  • Quite the bounce on Friday in U.S. consumer staples - VDC the etf up 1.48%.