Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

sad news for small investors: T Rowe Price hikes minimums and fees

Effective on August 1, Price eliminated several policies which were particularly friendly to small investors.

The minimum subsequent investment on retail accounts was raised from $50 to $100.

The waiver of the minimum investment for accounts with an Automatic Asset Builder has been eliminated. Rather than requiring a $50 minimum and $50/month thereafter, AAB accounts now require $2500 minimum and $100/thereafter (though it doesn't need to be monthy).

The small account fee has been raised to $20 per account under $10,000. The fee will be assessed in September. You can dodge the fee by signing up for electronic document delivery.

Price changed the policies in response to poor behavior on the part of investors. Too many investors started with $50, built the account to $300 and then turned off the asset builder. Price then had custody of a bunch of orphaned accounts which were generating $3/year to cover management and administrative expenses. This is the same problem that long-ago forced a bunch of firms to raise their investment minimums from $250- 500 to $2500.

Artisan remains one of the few firms (almost the only firm) to waive their investment minimums for accounts with a $50 automatic investment plan.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    "Small account"? Heck, I can recall when 10k was lot a $$ to have iin a single fund. Understand their concerns, but sounds like overkill to me. (You can also avoid the fee by keeping at least $50,000 on hand with them.)

Also, if you pull completely out (move your stash elsewhere) they've imposed a $20 "close-out" fee. I talked to them and appears best thing is to consolidate all your funds into 1 before pulling out or each will be hit with the fee.
  • Does this affect existing customers that already have existing accounts in place or are they "grandfathered"? I can understand making changes to new customers or existing customers that open new accounts after the new changes take effect, but how can they change something already established?

I have some funds with other fund families that were set up prior to increased AIP amount changes, but my accounts were "grandfathered" since the AIP was in place prior to the change. Any new account established after the change was subject to the AIP change.

FWIW
  • Reply to @TheShadow: I'll ask, though I'm not sure that I can get a definitive response before they open Monday.
  • Thanks! Any insight would be appreciated. I am sure they will respond to you sometime next week once business resumes.

I am sure I am not the only one in this situation.
  • I called T Rowe this morning and spoke with a rep. in FL. It seems that as long as you had an account established prior to the change and with an existing monthly investment purchase you will not be affected. For example, if you have a existing mutual fund restart the monthly AIP plan or set up a new account, you will be required to follow the new prospectus guidelines.