Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Projections for the market this coming week?

edited August 2011 in Off-Topic
Can't help but think that much of the credit rating issue has already been priced in, but the markets will drop 3% regardless. Also think there's a chance the US downrating will shake folks up regarding what kind of situation Europe is in. Overall, I'd wager we're down 5% this week. Still many are saying this will not be the advent of a double dip. I just can't see it.

I've some dry powder set aside, but wish I had more.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I think you are pretty close to being right. Unfortunately it all depends on our emotional response.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2011
    As of midnight Sunday Asian markets are down 3-4%. U.S. futures down over 2%. Perhaps not by coincidence the Fed Open Market Committee meets Tuesday, Aug 9. Look for Fed actions Monday or Tuesday to calm markets.

Downgrade may be priced in, but world economy showing signs of sliding back Into recession. Keep few extra cold ones in the refrig. Could be tough week.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    Mark Twain

• Reply to @hank: Fed meeting dates are pre-announced a long time ago. I don't know what you are implying.
  • edited August 2011
    The thought was the scumbags might have wanted to get their handiwork out close to a scheduled fed meet to give em a chance to dampen the hellovalou. Could explain why they wouldn't hold off even after Tim Geithner pointed out a 2-3 trillion dollar error. Course the fed doesn't need a meeting to announce moves, so my ipplication probably errant. We'll never know.
  • Reply to @hank: I got it. Thanks.
  • looks like it would be a bad week. Good news are market may not remember too much so this downturn could be short-lived. Bad news are Govt and Feds cannot support the market anymore. I think we may get the need corrections that we were suppose to have in 2009 [or we may have another crash to dows @ 6000s - 7000s and the sell offs won't stop until 6.5K].... no fun loosing $$ LOL