Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Reminder: David Snowball On Chuck Jaffe's Money Life Show: Monday, 12/9/13

TedTed
edited December 2013 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Funds to be discussed.
Regards,
Ted
BMPEX, TBGVX, VGSTX During "Hold It or Fold It:" PRPFX, COBYX, SFGIX, WAFMX, RLPIX, VDAIX, VHDYX

Comments

• I'll play David...

PRPFX - Fold
    COBYX - Hold
    SFGIX - Hold
    WAFMX - Hold

RLPIX - Fold
    VDAIX - Hold
    VHDYX - Fold
  • Reply to @Charles: Close, so very close.

I argued that buying (or holding) VDAIX was entirely sensible, but only if you did so for the right reason. Dividends are used for one of two distinct purposes: as a signal of a company's underlying strength or as a source of income. VDAIX proceeded from the first premise. It was looking for enduringly strong franchises but produced relatively little income (the yield is about 1.7%). I argued that folks looking for dividend income per se would be better off looking at VHDYX, which yielded about 50% more than VDAIX though it had lower total return.

On whole, probably too complicated for the venue or the audience but I have trouble being brief sometimes. (Uhhh ... our December issue was nearly 40 pages in Word so I should amend the preceding to "major trouble".)

Cheers,

David