Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Baseball and today's market

edited August 2011 in Off-Topic
"Better hang on to your Stroh's..." is how longtime Tiger announcer Ernie Harwell might describe this mornings market.

For them that didn't load up on gold sooner: "He stood there like the house by the side of the road."

And, If you own stocks this week, by Friday your fortune may be "Looooong gone.."

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2009/09/top_ten_detroit_tigers_broadca.html

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @Maurice: Mo, Appreciate your optimism. Ernie might say: "He's whistling in the graveyard."

Hey I'm not bailing or suggesting anyone should. Am sometimes struck by our use of sports and gambling metaphors to describe investing practices and outcomes.

BTW, Ernie is an institution here in Michigan. Enjoyed his announcing from a child of 14 until he passed away a year ago. "The golden voice of the Golden Tower" if ever there was one.
  • Hank,

So, you're living in Detroit. I was born in Detroit, moved to Denver and I can tell you
    that Detroit is a nice place to be FROM.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @Flack: Hi Flack. Was sure good to see you posting again. Am actually from northern part of state. Worked in Oakland County north of Detroit about 30 years before returning north. Glad to be out of there as you say, but some fond memories too. Hoping the best for them as this recession/depression has wrecked havoc on the area.