Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Obama to make statement at 1 p.m. Eastern today

edited August 2011 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Would Bush say anything different? I think you are playing politics Maurice because the president is not of your political persuasion.
  • Hey Maurice, We are now getting our investment advice from Al Roker and friends at the Weather Channel. Watched part of this folly while on vacation...............give me a break, eh???
    Pretty soon, one may expect market tickers along with temps on their crawl. I should suggest they keep the local weather report on the 8's and then run the market tickers on the 10's.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • oh...sh**tttt..everytime the man speak the market takes a nose dive!!...nm can't mix politics w/ market +/- religions...lol
  • Reply to @johnN:

"can't mix politics w/ market +/- religions...lol "

Hay John. If memory serves, you live in Texas, right? Religion+Polictics... how about that governor of yours? I understand the religious rally he held was sponsored by a group that believes the first amendment "only" applies to Christians. Hmmm....
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @MikeM:

hi Mike, I use to be a democrat but probably would turn to moderate-conservative independence pretty soon because we do believe if we work hard then we should be getting rewards. I just hate all the democrats whom just give free money to lazy ones that stay home all day and stop looking for work. But this is just my beliefs.

I think in this country every 4 years the independence party get p*ssed off and send the other president out of the white house. Think how we hated Bush 4 yrs ago for getting us into two wars, now many folks are hating Obama [not because of his mantra but because of his policies--the tide has turn in a sense].

Rick Perry could be the next Pres, but I don't know him that well. I just heard that he cheated bunch of Taxes before, really like big Corporations, got many laws passed that favors the rich folks, and live in a big mansion that's free pay by Texas State payers in Texas, he does like to spend money though. don't know whom to vote for this time but I think Christianity is one way to win many votes [I am not a christian by the way - maybe ron paul or romey ???]

Mike - So what do you think of this market - are we gonna crash? I am thinking going to 20s% cash but it's too late now...might as well just wait it out again and watching lots of $$ going down the drain

Thinking of buying little of US Steel X bonds [BBB ratings] or Morgan Stanley bonds [A ratings] - yield ~ 8s% for 10 yrs ....

• edited August 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Obama has very little influence over our economy. Blaming him is ridiculous if you look at the circumstances from which he came into office.Our problems have been brewing for years.
  • Reply to @Maurice: Totally agree. And as I've said before, I'm not political - I think both sides are terrible and people need to start figuring out and focusing more on taking care of themselves because the government is no longer focused on the people at all.
  • Reply to @ma710: "Obama has very little influence over our economy" He does?
  • He worked slow. It took three whole days for things to get better.
  • Reply to @scott: I absolutely agree with you, Scott, all parties should be thrown out. When the Republicans' main goal is to tank the economy to ensure a Republican will get into office next year - and Obama gave great speeches before elected, but is so concentrated on not offending any voters by his ridiculous continuing stated belief that the Republicans will compromise for the betterment of this Country which has completed negated his pretty speeches because he hasn't FOUGHT for anything he said he believed -where is there to go for this Country but down? From one of my favorite musicals, "Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words, from him now from you, is that all you blighthards (sp?) can do.... SHOW ME NOW!"
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: Well there are words that translate into action even if the action is forced passivity. For example, "Just say no" handicapped Reps into opposing anything that even themselves proposed in the past because the president was now in support of those ideas.

In the next election, a republican might get elected. But what is seeded by republicans is very likely to be used against them. I fully expect they will get a payback by democrats by "Just say no" and everything will be deadlock again.

This country is very closely divided. It is very dangerous political game to force things in deadlock because you will get the same next time.

Politics used to be the art of "compromise" in which both sides get some. But fringe groups within each ideology is forcing unrealistic "all or nothing" behavior. With this, we are not going to get much further in solving issues. There is no meeting of the minds.
  • Reply to @Investor: So sad and infuriating, isn't it. I think the worst part of it is that the proportion of Democrat-leaning voters who even have any idea what's going on that haven't bothered to pay attention to anything that's happening are so much higher than the Republican voters whose party keeps their voters' passions high (with mostly completely incorrect information). Recently I've asked several people what they thought of major recent political and economic events - and none of them had any idea what I was talking about. One reason given was because they were working so hard trying to make ends meet that they just didn't have the time or energy to try and sort out the lies from the truths.
  • Well, I don't know if speech helped any. Unlikely. But had plunge continued, he'd probably gotten blamed. Such is politics. A week later, hysterias fading and U.S. markets higher than before sandbagging.