Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No QE3, rates low for extended period through infinity (read: mid-2013)

edited August 2011 in Fund Discussions
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/no-qe3-fomc-exceptionally-low-rates-through-mid-2013-complete-statement-comparison

Market was up 150, then down 200 a couple of minutes ago, then -60 and now -80.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Um, dollar vs. Swiss Franc today is rather impressive:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=USDCHF=X
  • ...and now we're up 260.
  • Howdy scott,

I had to run the roads today with other work; but had plans of perhaps going into a few other funds....likely energy stuff; but when hearing of the market moves in the last few hours decided to keep the money horses in the corral. I am sure energy related likely went up today, and the near term bottom may have already been touched. But, I am not playing with this market when it is having these big mood swings.
    AND, the infinity thing with low Fed rates; that should take me through my/our retirement years at this house..........:):):)
    No surprise with this move, eh??? Not like there is a powerhouse economy on the horizon.
    Lastly, for now; is to consider moving back into more precious metals again; in spite of the hugh run.
    OK, take care. I have a 5:30 appt and must get leaving.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Hi catch
    I think there's a saying 'the early birds get the worms'...you could be too late if you did not buy. I would DCA slowly [but you know best and you know what to do:) ]
    I truely believe that was a long overdue corrections that occured the past few wks and it could be healthy for the market. Easy money to loans from Feds, corp still got lots of cash, the dollar may crash. best to buy more commodities and perhaps precious metals, all suggestive of a perhaps slow/sustain recovery. Keep most of your powder dry and slowly ease in:)

I think you are doing the right thing! Bought a few bonds and here but did not do anything else. got a good deal for US Steel X bonds, maybe thinking of buying GE bonds also yield ~ 7s% but don't know yet.
  • edited August 2011
    I think the issue becomes looking at what would appear to be a very (very) low-growth environment that also has a negative real rate of return and what that will result in, including what I believe will be continued flight of capital.

As I noted in another thread today, the Swiss Franc gained 5% today.

Edited to add:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/price-big-mac-now-1719-zurich
    Big Mac now $17.19 in Zurich.
  • "As I noted in another thread today, the Swiss Franc gained 5% today".

Yep Scott and one of PRPFX asset classes.
  • Reply to @scott: Swiss Frank is too strong probably benefiting from the same flight to safety currents and since the volume of Swiss frank available to purchase is much smaller than US$, it creates a huge upward momentum.

I am not sure if you know the following: Swiss National Bank (i.e. Swiss Central Bank) cut the interest rates to 0 to 0.25% last week and sold franks in order to weaken their currency. Their exports are hurting big time. They are not happy with it.
  • edited August 2011
    Deleted.
  • The Swiss franc ETF FXF has just been unbelievable. Up 15.6% 1 month, 28.7% year to date, and 44.5% 1 year. No wonder the Swiss are complaining.

Haven't priced a Swiss Army knife in dollars lately, but maybe it's time to stock up. I know I won't be visiting the mountain kingdom anytime soon.
  • Reply to @AndyJ:

Swiss Franc Plunges As Market Eyes Potential SNB Policy Measures:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110811-712893.html
  • Reply to @Investor:

Finally. It's been an insane runup. I suppose a beer in Geneva now costs only $25 or so.