Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lousy Week for Stocks, Bonds End Even On Heavy Volume

edited December 2013 in Fund Discussions
SPY down more than 1.5% for first time since August. Like last week, couple back-to-back distribution days, but without the bounce back. Ironically, market sold-off on good news regarding budget in DC. Volume was a bit light, if that helps. SPY remains above 50 and 200 day averages and within 2% of all-time high.

Some massive trading with AGG this week. Daily volume Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday was 2-3 times normal. Ended flat though, down now 3% since May Day:

Comments

• Yet another test of the SPX/SPY 50 coming up for our entertainment?
  • edited December 2013
    Reply to @AndyJ: I'm hoping it's just posturing, locking-in gains for year. I'm not in the over-valued camp. With budget deal, except taper surprise, don't see anything on horizon that will cause stocks to head south. (Ha! Great last words.) Fingers-crossed.
  • Reply to @Charles: I've put a couple dollars into the S&P500 and Russell2000 indexes the last couple weeks in hopes of a Santa rally. I'll play it out. Question is am I committed enough to add a few more dollars with a pull back (?) It's like betting on my Buffalo Bills. Some day they are going to win one but in the mean time just disappointment.
  • Reply to @MikeM:
    It's like betting on my Buffalo Bills. Some day they are going to win one but in the mean time just disappointment.
    MikeM,

Today was your day.

Mona
  • Saw that. Yes, vs. Jax. :)