Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Funds portfolio insurance..."Fools rush in, where wise persons fear to go..." Buy high, sell low !

edited August 2011 in Fund Discussions
Howdy,

WELL, it turns out that our vacation last week is more costly than expected (aside from the cost of the actual vacation); as we were not able to take any actions with our portfolio.
SO, as I have jabbered in the recent past, I will presume we will "buy" some portfolio insurance today in the nature of TIPS funds and perhaps some adds to PM funds.
YES, there have already been big runs in these sectors; and perhaps the funds wool is ready to be sheared. But, we all accept risk as part of the potential reward, yes? Maurice, as noted to you 10 days back or so; I presume you are still holding your Vanguard TIPS fund.

johnN replied to me (a post from a few days ago) regarding perhaps missing a buy point on Monday for some selected areas of consideration. This note reminded me of watching the markets from July, 2007 through June, 2008 and the hugh swings, especially in the fall/winter period of 2007. There were many potential buy points during this period, too. You may use the chart of your favor to look at this period for a better view of swings.

Any-hoo, just me 2 cents for now and thinking out loud with the keyboard.

MARKET CLOSE, Aug 10: Let us discover the greater fool theory. Threw some monies against the wall to find how well it will stick. Added to FSAGX, and revisited old friends; FINPX and APOIX. The Fido PM and TIPS buys are from cash, while the APOIX is a partial sell of DHOAX, which is a HY bond fund. I may have been out in the hot sun for too long. For you timers, these buys may be an indicator for a top in these sectors.....:):):)

LOGIC: Still think'in monies are gonna run to these directions, in spite of recent moves.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• MLPs doing well today. "Star Trek III: The Search for Yield."
  • Hi Scott, Well they found Spock, eh? Don't know if I'll be found if the above buys don't perform...:) May be late to the party; OR the band is set up and ready to go.
  • edited August 2011
    hi catch
    good commentary. i would be VERY VERY CAREFUL. it will be CHOPPY out there for I think the next few weeks-months. don't know where the market is going but I think you'll do all right in 5-10 yrs:).... otherwise you'll will be working 2.5 jobs until 85 years old because of heavy loss in the market..lol
  • Hi john,
    If one does not protect the monies each and every day; the value of compounding positive returns becomes diminished going forward and "do all right" in 5-10 years may ring hollow.
    No 2.5 jobs or a job for this fella. They'll just have to bury me early. I've worked at something since age 8. I have paid my dues to the planet, the family and myself.

Take care,
    Catch
  • hi catch
    I truely think that IF YOU CAN HOLD ON to the stuff you buy for at least 2-5 yrs, they could possibly a good buy now, since it's technically a new recession. We may have to wait for few more yrs for it to go back to 12K... I probably will look at more nice yield vehicles like AT&T/verizon, home depot, dividend ETFs could be on sale now
    regards
  • edited August 2011
    I think the whole thing right now is really pulling together around your best ideas and ideas that you're willing to possibly sit on for - as you said - 2 to 5 years. I think one has to really look at dividends (and I really do like MLPs - there is actually a new MLP closed-end fund too, SMF, that can hedge, which I'm looking at.) Two Fairholme picks that I actually like, Leucadia (LUK) and Brookfield Asset Management (BAM) - are interesting at these levels - especially LUK - but if we're going back to DOW 6,000 (which I really don't think is the case, although not for the most positive reasons) then all bets are really off. In terms of other single names, I like Loews (L, not the home depot-like store, the conglomerate), as well. Obviously, do your own research and I'm not looking to rush into anything, but these would be some of the names I'd look at if I was.

Fund-wise if you want to bet on a fund that's done terribly this year but has a good past record, I like Janus Overseas (JAOSX.) I think fund-wise, alternative funds (managed futures, long-short, although it's tough to find a good long-short fund) are also appealing during this time period, as well.
  • edited August 2011
    CNBC reporting European regulators looking to possibly ban short selling in markets or specifically financial stocks. So...not like 2008 or anything.
  • Hi scott,

Rumors, rumors......but still can cause short term problems, eh???

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/11/us-crisis-asia-exposure-idUSTRE77A1Q620110811

And fact, CME raised margin requirements on gold traders. I don't know the criteria for these actions, but could cause some rework by these folks.

Just a quick note.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @scott:
    hi Scott, it's funny you state these. Young minds think alike. I do have a small portions in evep [mlp], thinking of buying more MOO or DBA. I do have jaosx janus overseas as long term holdings. My portfolio is heavily favored the commodities sectors, so if it drop I would feel the pain but hopefully it will be a soft landing:)... looks like futures are way up today, market forgets very quickly and hopefully we'll get a reasonable sustained rally
  • edited August 2011
    If the market rallies strongly, gold will pull back and it is overextended at this point. I don't think the margin raises matter. I would not recommend anything gold-related at this point, but I think it's a good idea to watch for dips. Again, I understand the gold thesis, but I think it's really important to look into agriculture (fertilizer, food-related ingredients, etc), which I think will not only be very important over the next decade, but at the same time, also will not likely be quite as volatile as anything metals-related. I also quite like MLPs. The whole thing - to me - is gathering a diversified portfolio of real assets. Water is another big one, but I don't think there are too many good funds in that area yet.
  • edited August 2011
    Thank you for the note, John. I think commodities and hard assets are definitely 5-10 year plays and should be bought. However, I think there's also some "thinking outside the box" too with the idea of "hard assets", which is not necessarily an oil producer, but an infrastucture company with long-life assets that would be costly to replace, or possibly a railroad. I think DBA (which I own) and MOO are good broad exposure to agriculture, but I also think that specific sectors are also worth exploring, such as companies like Syngenta (SYT), or one of the two fertilizer MLPs - Terra (TNH) or CVR Partners (UAN). Dupont (DD) has a large agriculture and food ingredient portion (with their purchase of Danisco) and if you don't believe things are going to crap, Dupont will do okay. If things are going to crap, so will Dupont stock again. There is, however, a much less volatile preferred (DD.PR.A) which is $75 and yields 4.67% (I haven't researched this preferred much, but I believe it can be called at $100.) There are also specific ETFs - I believe the Fertilizer ETF is SOIL.

There's also some value stocks that could be explored, such as Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), which has done terribly recently and which I'm looking at. In terms of commodity futures funds, I do like RYLFX - Rydex Long-Short Commodities - as some diversification vs. simply long funds. Also, you can look at something like Nuveen Commodity Fund (CFD), which yields over 7%, pays a monthly dividend and is trading at a discount to NAV of 7.65% (according to the fund website, as of yesterday's close.)

The two foreign commodity trading houses - Glencore (GLCNF.PK) and Noble (NOBGF.PK) have been obliterated recently. I think Glencore is a little more interesting due to the farmland it owns/leases (from the website, "In Australia, Paraguay, Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan, Glencore farms 270,000 hectares of owned or leased land."), but Noble is also interesting. These are VERY volatile stocks - I owned Noble late last year/early this year, but sold it and may consider it again. I did pick up a little Glencore over the last week, but that's really an example of something I am just putting away and don't care about the short-term. If Noble continues down I will nibble a bit on that again. Both are interesting, unique sort of "alternative" commodity plays, but tremendously volatile. Both are not particularly expensive from a price standpoint - Noble is a little over $1 a share, while Glencore is just under $6. Both are things that I would not have as more than 1% of the portfolio, though. Glencore has a controversial past, but I really don't care much - that may be an issue with someone else (as the wikipedia page accurately notes, the company's history reads like a spy novel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencore) Another alternative commodity play remains Sprott Resources (SCPZF.PK.)

In terms of broad funds that have dropped severely, Janus Overseas (JAOSX) is one, and Ivy Asset Strategy (WASCX) and sister fund Ivy Asset New Opportunities (INOCX) are another pair of examples.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @scott: CNBC now confirming short selling ban. Details to follow.

Edited: now discussion of no ban, but no futures for Italy. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/milan-bourse-says-will-not-resume-futures-trading-thursday-ftse-mib
  • Reply to @scott: They increase collateral requirements for gold futures. So, gold futures are selling to cover.