Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Christmas Generosity and Happiness

MJG
edited December 2013 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

The Christmas season is widely recognized as a time of giving. The generous act of giving is equally well recognized as an act that brings happiness to both the recipient and the giver. Here is a super short You Tube video that provides some scientific coupling:

If you enjoyed this presentation, you might also like the ideas on how to enhance productivity by the same outfit. I particularly was surprised at their claim about the ineffectiveness of multi-tasking. I’ll need to check on this conclusion more completely given that my wife is a superb multi-tasker Here is that Link:

If you found these tips to have merit and perhaps even useful, the sample material referenced above was produced by AsapScience. That group has generated a host of other imaginative scientifically based summaries with tips on how to exploit these findings.

Enjoy.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas.

Comments

• Dear MJG: Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery a lot easier.
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Ted:

Hi Ted,

I certainly agree, but that’s not the end of the story.

Money is surely needed up to a comfortable life style threshold. Beyond that tipping point, it begins to loss its lure and attractiveness. Its desirability is very nonlinear and its also very asymmetric. Daniel Kahneman was awarded a Nobel prize for documenting this insight in his Prospect Theory.

Thank you for taking time on Christmas Eve to reply. I greatly appreciate your interest and your bountiful contributions.

Best Wishes. Merry Christmas.
  • Reply to @Maurice:

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for your sincere best wishes and your poignant story. It is well worth the telling and the retelling. The story emphasizes the ephemeral nature of life. I suspect that the older we get, the more we realize that luck, both good and bad, is a major interloper.

I too am happy and willing to tradeoff gold for years. The good news is that with each passing year we only pay about 0.7 years of longevity. The more we succeed, the more we can expect to succeed according to the mortality tables.

I want to wish you an especially healthy, warm, and prosperous holiday season, and a continuation of that trend-line in subsequent years.

Indeed, giving, is a continuous affair. It's good for the getter and its good for the giver.

Happy Holidays.