Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Look at the Futures ... The Markets From Around the World ... and, The Best Performing Mutal Funds

edited December 2013 in Fund Discussions
A lot of stuff looking green as I write this morning ...

http://finviz.com/futures.ashx

And, a look at the markets both domestic and around the world ...

http://markets.wsj.com/usoverview

Under Mutual Fund Categories: The best performing on 12/24 were Precious Metals, China Region, Basic Materials, Commodities Base Metals, and Equity Leveraged. You might also want to review the worst performing for the day plus all the other good stuff that can be referenced on the above link including the Lipper Indexes and Yardsticks. You might even find some investment ideas for 2014.

Wishing you the very best in the coming year ... and, "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hello again,

Below is a recap of what Old_Skeet has been up to so far this December and has been copied from the post of "What are you buying/selling/pondering?"and reposted here as many of my investment themes found here came from the review of the above provided WSJ link. My recap might provide you some ideas but should not by any means be considered investment advice.

Old_Skeet has been accumulating cash during the past year and has been a net seller of equities, during their advancement, up to early summer. I am still with my target asset allocation of about 20% cash, 25% income, 45% equity and 10% alternative. With my December mutual fund distributions my equity allocation has fallen by a few percentage points while my cash area has been rising. With this, I have been looking for some areas currently held within my portfolio to put some of this cash to work to keep my asset allocation within its targeted operating range(s). I have already put some cash to work in FDSAX a dividend strategy and value type fund with a total distribution yield of about 4%, some in AZNAX a fund that kicks off a distribution yield of about seven percent as a good part of the yeild comes from the fund actively trading the markets, some in CCMAX a flexible asset type fund which this year had a large distribution yield of better than 11%, and some to FRINX a hybrid real estate fund with a total distribution yield this year of better than 9%. I currently have JCRAX a commodities strategy fund that holds a good number of energy and material stocks under review for additional funding along with DEMAX which is a diversified emerging market fund, TIBAX which is a hybrid global dividend fund with a yield of better than 5% and perhaps LPEFX which holds companies that invest in private equity plus a few others … such as … TOLLX which is a global infrastructure fund and IIVAX which is a small cap value fund that holds mostly small and mid cap stocks with some representation in the large cap area also have my thoughts. In addition, I have two equity index funds IACLX and VADAX that might recieve a few dollars their way too.

With a portfolio of fifty funds I have many places I can look to for positioning new money. However, the ones I have noted above are my twelve candidates at the moment.

I wish all ... Good Investing,
    Old_Skeet
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: Do we call your fund collection, the 'nifty fifty' ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi Ted,

Here is what my research turned up on the "Nifty Fifty." I have linked it below ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nifty_Fifty

I am not so sure it would be right to coin the term "Nifty Fifty" to my holdings although it is kinda catchy.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old_Skeet
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet: If you are interested in what some TA might say about the entries into these funds (even if just for entertainment):

FDSAX nice bounce recently, would wait till it reaches about 17.40 to avoid possibility of a near term reversal.

AZNAX Has been on a tear and good technicals to hold. Might be a good idea to wait for a pullback for new money

CCMAX was losing its momentum before the distribution. Would wait for a while to see how it does.

FRINX Avoid until it demonstrates a trend up. technicals don't look good.

JCRAX Set up nicely for entry.

DEMAX May go sideways for a while or down. Better to wait for it to get to about 16.25 to see a trend up.

TIBAX good run up since it bounced off 200sma. May have a small pullback, get in sooner than later.

LPEFX momentum was slowing down before distribution. Would wait a bit to see if it trends up.

TOLLX had a nice bounce off of 200sma but may test the recent low again would wait a bit or buy if it breaks through to about 13.40

IIVAX momentum teetering along with all small and mid caps. Wouldn't recommend getting in now.

IACLX Very nice technicals but may pull back a bit near term. Would buy if it bounced off of 15.60 or 15.40. But may also continue to rise but a bit risky to bet in that direction.

VADAX Nice rise after distribution. Good technicals for entry.

No guarantees of course.:-) But if you had to just guess an entry point... Even for the long term.

• edited December 2013
    Hi cman,

Thanks for the recap. Most of the funds I put money into recently ... I was able to add money around the middle of December just before the upward Santa bounce hit and the fed's announcement to taper. I have thus far only purchased a sum equal to about one half of one percent of my total equity allocation. I am holding off until mid January as Congress will have to address the National debt limit. I am thinking another entry will appear on my screens on or about this time. I most likely will not add to all twelve funds that I hi-lighted but they are my current watch list ... and, who knows, a nice pull back might be forthcoming and I can then do some good shoping. I usually position in by raising in a quarter of a percent to one half of a percent of my overall equity allocation at a time. A good buying opportunity would be adding up to a full percent and reducing cash by a like amount(s). I had wanted to get back to a full allocation (45%) to equities, currently at about 43%. Then with anticipated capital appreciation dial the allocation back as equities advance much like I did last year. For every 25 point increase in the S&P 500 Index I would dial by equities back by about one percent. This did two things, it kept my equity allocation form getting to far from its target allocation and it increased my cash allocation as I moved into retirement. I now hold about 20+% cash and the + percent is what I am looking for opportunities to put to work and since I am 95% of my target allocation to equities. With this, this is the area I am looking to raise. Not a lot, just a couple percent.

Thanks again,
    Old_Skeet