Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity's the latest to propose an emerging markets balanced fund

It was my idea. I should get a commission. Hmmm . . .

In any case, Fido filed for two new e.m. markets funds. Emerging Markets Discovery will be their small- to mid-cap e.m. fund. Total Emerging Markets will be a 60/40 balanced fund. Expect both to launch in November. The most promising aspect of the balanced fund is the presence of John Carlson, who runs New Markets Income - a very fine balanced fund, at the head of the management team. I believe his co-managers run some of Fidelity's non-U.S. funds. The opening expense ratio will be 1.4% and the minimum investment will be $2500.

For those just itching for details on either fund, here's the SEC filing: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/744822/000074482211000008/main.htm#fid153391

Templeton is the other firm recently to have filed a balanced e.m. fund prospectus.

Comments

• Howdy David,
    It appears that the 6 person manager team may follow in the path of this recent fund management style change at Fido; although this fund name does not include the renaming style of existing Fido funds using this concept and becoming "Stock Selector" (fund name).
    Investor placed a story link including/regarding this yesterday.
    Thanks to both of you for the info.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited August 2011
    If we each had a green Ben Franklin for each EM balanced and EM local debt fund that has come out or that is coming out this year, we could have quite a party.

I've been watching each month, when Pimco releases fund portfolio data, for detailed info on their EM Multi-Asset Fund, but they haven't provided anything yet beyond the prospectus and a pretty general Q&A that I've been able to find.
  • Hi Andyj,
    Not really related, but I miss the days when there were still more individual stock listings versus the mutual fund list. And, I am not counting etf's. A big, big fund list there days, eh? And trying to sort out the variables of what some of the funds are really able to do and the nature of the beast, in the end result. Makes me head hurt!
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Yeah, Catch, I wonder what the figures are now for individual U.S. stocks vs. mutual funds. Are there 3x, 4x, ?? as many funds as stocks? I well remember the shock and awe when I first heard there were more funds than stocks.
  • Howdy Andyj,

Tracked down this MFO chat from a few weeks back, about the number of funds, including etfs and CEFs.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/830/29126-holy-overload-robin-exclaims-to-batman.-/p1

Take care,
    Catch