Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Value Funds vs. Growth Funds vs Bonds - No Longer True?

2»

Comments

• You're right, @Old_Skeet. One of the trusts I am lucky enough to be beneficiary to is 100 years old (will be terminating, FINALLY, in 2 years). A couple of the stocks invested in then (or in the last 50 years) are still around. Thousands percentages gains in those (and a couple of them lost majority of the gains due to being held under any or all circumstances by USB). But it's NOT a step-up, so the cap gains rate will be enormous. Still, I certainly can't complain about the regular income and the remaining amount.

So, investing JUST A LITTLE as early as possible can really add up over a few decades.

Cathy

P.S. You're also right about so-called "professionals" who have little, if almost no, knowledge of mutual funds, or even basic investment knowledge. I've found that out way too often with TDA reps when I've called or emailed.
  • Thanks @MikeM I used to be at Scwab a decade or so ago, but I had very little knowledge of investments at the time and remember that their mutual fund buy/sell fees were high. And, I think at that time, their etf fees were higher also, but I can't remember. Anyway, since I wasn't involved much, I also can't remember ever using their trading platform. Let me know if you use it and what you think of it.
  • Haven't had a chance to read through all the responses, but if you are looking into global allocation funds, my suggestion is to have a look at First Eagle SGENX . It fits well with my risk profile with consistent performance and low downside. It is available no load with many brokers including Schwab and Fidelity. You do have to assess yourself the quality of their team as managers can leave. That's why I usually look at funds with >15 years (preferably >20) of experience, low portfolio turnover, for a core position.
  • I also can't remember ever using their trading platform. Let me know if you use it and what you think of it.
    Sorry @CathyG, didn't notice this comment before. I've traded stocks, etf's and mutual funds on Schwab's platform and find it very easy. Never had a problem, FWIW. Buy/sell fees for stocks and ETFs I think are some of the lowest in the business, $4.95 /transaction, and some ETFs have no cost at all. I only buy NTF mutual funds (no transaction fees). Kind of what you said about loads, there is always another fund as good or better, w/o a fee.