Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Millennials Who Won't Move Out From Parents' Basement

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited May 2018
    I know of a very personal case. The young man is almost 25 and still with his mother and stepfather. I assert that these are very difficult times. Wages have hardly moved in 40 years. Medical expenses are up too high to measure, year by year by year. Groceries. Gas. And the cost of higher education is ridiculous. And look at rents. Unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, it's a steep uphill slog. These young people have no generous GI Bill to come home to, like the WW II veterans. It's a "brave new world." If, like myself, you are lucky enough to have your expenses paid through school, you could keep doing that until you get tired of it, or until it starts to feel like too much work. And 25 is a long way from 40, too. The cost of living today is cuckoo-nuts. And this young fellow is piecing together about 5 part-time jobs, as it is.
  • edited May 2018
    Agree with Crash on the economic side. Lack of wage growth has hurt. Housing costs are sky high, especially in major cities (where all the jobs are).

But too many parents coddle their children and try to shield them from concepts like hard work and accountability. This in turn hurts their growth and development as adults.... as does spending most of their days thumbing tiny smartphones (texting, video games, etc).

Its kind of funny when you see an entire family out to eat in a restaurant....and all of them (parents included) are face down, typing into their ipads, quiet as can be. And its also kind of sad.

College costs are through the roof and climbing at ridiculous rates....just like healthcare insurance premiums. It must be tough for grads to get out of the gate with all that college debt, let alone get ahead.

Its disturbing. The whole "MAGA" concept is a nifty campaign slogan, but that's about all it was. Here in the US, we are becoming a society of haves and have-nots, with less in between (i.e. middle class). The backbone of America is fading.
  • What @JoeD said!!!
  • The key to getting them out of the house is to teach them how to live off other people's labor: https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/30/wealth-banks-google-facebook-society-economy-parasites
  • edited May 2018
    “It’s disturbing. The whole "MAGA" concept is a nifty campaign slogan, but that's about all it was. Here in the US, we are becoming a society of haves and have-nots, with less in between (i.e. middle class). The backbone of America is fading.”

Yes. But come on guys. Offer up some solutions!

Growing up in Michigan in the 60s and coming of age in a sense in the early 70s, I recall how good life was for the working stiff. A high school education and good work ethics (showing up regularily and reasonably sober) would net a working couple a nice middle class income - enough for a home in the suburbs, a new pickup truck and maybe a small cottage in the northern woods. A couple in ‘75 with 10 years seniority at the shop could pull in a combined $35,000 - $40,000 a year - even more with overtime. Good money in ‘75 (when a pretty decent new car sold for $3500). That was more than many teachers made at the time. The chief reason? it’s that dirty word “unions.” Workers had real power. Could shut down the lines at Ford or GM for weeks or months if an agreement wasn’t reached.

What happened? Did we do it to ourselves buying cheap transistor radios and clothing made in third world countries for pennies on the dollar? Did big money corrupt our politics to the extent that the playing table is no longer level? Don’t know. Lots of questions. No good answers.

The Wage That Meant Middle Class - Decline of the $20 wage https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/weekinreview/20uchitelle.html
  • @Crash: < These young people have no generous GI Bill to come home to, like the WW II veterans. > Guess how they could acquire GI Bill ?! I didn't serve in WW2 , But I did use the GI Bill !
    Derf
  • hank said:

Growing up in Michigan in the 60s and coming of age in a sense in the early 70s, I recall how good life was for the working stiff. A high school education and good work ethics (showing up regularily and reasonably sober) would net a working couple a nice middle class income - enough for a home in the suburbs, a new pickup truck and maybe a small cottage in the northern woods. A couple in ‘75 with 10 years seniority at the shop could pull in a combined $35,000 - $40,000 a year - even more with overtime. Good money in ‘75 (when a pretty decent new car sold for $3500). That was more than many teachers made at the time. The chief reason? it’s that dirty word “unions.” Workers had real power. Could shut down the lines at Ford or GM for weeks or months if an agreement wasn’t reached.

But @hank - all that may be gone without a clear way of bringing it back. Yesterday in the Supreme Court:
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-supreme-court-workers-arbitration-20180523-story.html

• Yup. And that sucks.
  • Totally agree. All "problems" are "economic". Frankly I don't even understand what the big deal is. Tell the Royal Family (sic) their kids have to move out.
  • edited May 2018
    “But far from squids and vampires, the average rich freeloader manages to masquerade quite successfully as a decent hard worker. ” - LOL
  • Grew up in Canada and have a little different perspective. Yes there are economic tribulations today but I also sense a much greater sense of entitlement by the young'uns now. New or expensive cars,$1,000.00 telephones,new furniture,eating out instead of cooking in ,buying on credit etc etc is not the way to get ahead. Working 12-14 hr days, being scrappy, frugal spending,getting educated, having roommates and being yes a little lucky will get most folks ahead. I was taught "when there is a will there is a do". I did it and retired in my early 50's
  • Every life is different, too. That must be said. And I just caught a report on this guy, named Rotondo. He's not 40, but 30, and my impression is that he does indeed feel entitled. Not much ambition.

A lot depends also on what our natural inclinations are. Some skill sets are not very marketable--- like my own. I scraped by until I retired, early. And glad for it. But a great deal is out of our own personal control. It used to be that you could always find SOMETHING. No more.
  • I do not agree. There is a labor shortage in the US at this time. If you wish to work hard (not an option for many youngun's today) jobs are easily found even with poor skill sets. Vegetables and fruits are rotting in the fields because Americans refuse to do the work. My brother who owns a tire shop in the Miami area has an almost impossible time hiring tire changers as very few want to do the hard labor,at least initially to move forward. He in his early 60's has to change tires on many days because of this. Jobs are available everywhere if an individual really wants to work.
  • edited May 2018
    @fundly Anyone cannot do any job. When you get older doing what you are for 20 odd years, and lose your job, you can't go and change tires. Not that you couldn't physically do it and not that you can't learn, but because you are looking for a job that can leverage what you have been doing for past 20 years. Not to mention, your brother will not hire me as tire changer.

My point is it is easy to write and article. The person writing that article, THAT is his job. If he loses it I can guarantee you, he will not land a job changing tires at your brother's shop. This notion that everyone out of work is a slacker is horse shit.

I gave an example from personal experience. I would agree that a 30 something can be more open to changing careers. Sometimes, "education" might actually get in your way. An engineer is going to look for an engineering job and not something in marketing. If he is 30 and has college debt...
  • edited May 2018
    Re the OP- I caught a clip on network news with some remarks by possibly the same “adult child.” Certainly appeared there was some psychological problem with him - and possibly the parents. The particular case, then, may be an oddity similar to “man bites dog.” No problem. The issue of wealth disparity is real, and we’re all grateful to @Maurice for highlighting this growing concern in our country today.

It’s easy to find scapegoats since the issue is so far reaching and complex. And politicians always love finding scapegoats to shift the blame from them or their party to “the other guy.” Some popular scapegoats are: China, Mexico, immigrants, “tax and spend liberals”, technology, labor unions, NAFTA - and the lunar cycle. I’ll note that if the issue were chiefly technology, there ought to be a way to insure that every American shares in the windfall technology affords - not simply those who control the means of production. (Where have I heard those words before?:))

While I don’t agree with Trump on much, he’s at least called attention to the problem with some grandstanding on Ford, Carrrier and others moving jobs to Mexico. I don’t think his heavy-handed publicity driven showboat solutions would float on a salty sea, but at least he’s addressed the issue. One thing we can bank on is that if the solution were to cost the 10% of Americans who control 90% of the wealth in this country so much as a dime, they won’t get implemented. So we’re back to where we started.
    -

Linked article puts the figure at 0.1% of Americans having 90% of the wealth. I’ll stick with the 10% figure I cited above. Why bother splitting hairs here? It’s pretty obvious wealth in America is very heavily concentrated. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/13/us-wealth-inequality-top-01-worth-as-much-as-the-bottom-90
  • A good discussion here... some interesting points being made by various posters. And a civil discussion, to boot. Remarkable.
  • @VF
    No where in my post was it noted or insinuated that anyone out of work is a slacker. The point is that anyone who wants to work can if so desired and just because that person has some type of career does not mean that he/she cannot do any other job they are capable of doing or learning. How about the multitudes of lawyers working as waiters or other service jobs as one example. This is a well documented problem as computers take over the research once done by attorneys. What matters is the motivation to work at any job to support oneself, not a persons education or prior jobs. And yes if my brother in his 60's can change tires so you could you ,
    if you were so motivated and physically able. I typically do not comment much on this board as I have no desire to get into long debates. You have your opinion and I have mine. Enough said and that will be it.
  • edited May 2018
    Maybe the parents and the unwanted guest can come to some sort of agreement. For example, the parents can have their house moved, and the guest can stay in the basement.
  • Maybe the parents throw his XBOX out the front door, he goes to chase after it, and they bolt the door shut.

In all fairness, there are and have been slackers from every generation. At some point, you gotta kick them to the curb.
  • edited May 2018
    No, you can't tell me that ambition and a willingness to work is all you need. My M.Div and ThM. have proven to be worthless on my resume, when I applied for all sorts of jobs, whether full or part-time, once I retired from my line of work. Seems to me that my academic and work background, combined with my age, were actually detrimental in the post-retirement job-search. Good thing my wife is much younger and still working.
  • edited May 2018
    Old_Joe said:

A good discussion here ... And a civil discussion, to boot.

@Old_Joe, “A spoonful of sugar ...”
  • edited May 2018
    fundly said:

@VF
    No where in my post was it noted or insinuated that anyone out of work is a slacker. The point is that anyone who wants to work can if so desired and just because that person has some type of career does not mean that he/she cannot do any other job they are capable of doing or learning. How about the multitudes of lawyers working as waiters or other service jobs as one example. This is a well documented problem as computers take over the research once done by attorneys. What matters is the motivation to work at any job to support oneself, not a persons education or prior jobs. And yes if my brother in his 60's can change tires so you could you ,
    if you were so motivated and physically able. I typically do not comment much on this board as I have no desire to get into long debates. You have your opinion and I have mine. Enough said and that will be it.

i felt you were voicing an opinion and an opinion is always legit, but that was not my point. It is always easy to criticize other people as "why can't he do this job or that". Especially if you are in the media. I have great motivation right now to be Secretary of Education but no one is going to give me Betsy Devos's job even though I'm less unqualified than her. I really can do a better job than her and I can find you many people who would agree with me, but that'll not get me the job.

When I go to your brother with my resume, he is not going to give me "tire changer" job because he knows it is not a career choice for me. Since he is having trouble finding someone to be a "tire changer", perhaps he might give me a job for 2 days, but when he finds someone who actually wants to be a "tire changer", he will fire me immediately because he knows I'm liability who can quit for a better job I'm qualified for any and every day while for the other guy, he recognizes it is a step up from him. Perhaps he lost job as order taker at McDonald's because they now have self-service kiosks (this is actually true all over Austin, TX).

Standing on the sidewalk with "Will work for food" sign does not work. Not really.

PS - You say you never comment on such stuff, but you did. If you don't want to debate, that's your choice, but then why drop a bomb in the room and run?
  • edited May 2018

The key to getting them out of the house is to teach them how to live off other people's labor: https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/30/wealth-banks-google-facebook-society-economy-parasites

Thank you for this article. Good to see what you thinking is actually true.

The only beef I have is with the tagline under the authors photo
    Capitalism simply isnt't working and here are the reasons why

I have been ranting for a while we are not living a Capitalistic society. We are living in an increasingly Objectivist society. The Financial Crisis was one of perhaps many opportunities to move back toward true Capitalism. We were not just Too Big To Fail, We are Too Shamless and Stupid to Succeed.
  • edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    “Mostly, I need to start packing my boxes so I can move,” he told Syracuse.com. “But I have to pay for the boxes, which might be a problem.”... “I’m aware that that’s how the ax falls,” ... “I’m going to try to resolve this as civilly as possible.”

Reminds me of an Ex ... - LOL
  • The key to getting them out of the house is to teach them how to live off other people's labor: https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/30/wealth-banks-google-facebook-society-economy-parasites

Thank you for this article. Good to see what you thinking is actually true.

The only beef I have is with the tagline under the authors photo
    Capitalism simply isnt't working and here are the reasons why

I have been ranting for a while we are not living a Capitalistic society. We are living in an increasingly Objectivist society. The Financial Crisis was one of perhaps many opportunities to move back toward true Capitalism. We were not just Too Big To Fail, We are Too Shamless and Stupid to Succeed.
    Hello. What do you mean, "Objectivist?" Thank you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.