Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bitcoin Brokerages?

Folks,

Anyone trade Bitcoin or any crpytocurrencies? In spite of me, one of my wife's relatives thinks he has money to gamble with. So was looking to inform on appropriate brokerage (if that's even a valid term for trading crpytocurrencies).

The one place the relative mentioned was Kraken. I know that's name of some monster. Didn't want him land with the TDAmeritrade for cryptocurrency, so thought I would ask here if anyone has a recommendation on who to go with.

Thanks much.

Comments

• Hi @VintageFreak
    Not unlike any "investment", knowledge is power.
    The relative needs to educate himself as to the investment; regardless of where one may be able to trade this area.
    The 1st, below link provides various news stories about the recent hack of a system; and I suspect this won't be the last.
    I wish him "luck".

Korean cryptocurrency exchange hacked, $42b = poof

ETF's available.

Broadbased search, where to invest in cryptocurrency

• edited June 2018
    Yeah,.... I know. Was looking for some personal expierence from someone at FMO. Google always yields a list but you can't simply go with what's written about a brokerage.

This guy does not want ETFs. I would like to think I had something to do with that:-). Also WWWFX has/had a healthy chunk in Bitcoin, i suggested that too. He is the individual stock kind of guy while I dunno how he makes his (so much?) money. He does live in Connecticut and is a Biomedical Engineering PhD.

So if anyone trades crptocurrencies individually and can tell me where they do so, would appreciate it.
  • Just google 'investing in cryptocurrency or blockchain'. There are plenty of stock choices. I don't believe anyone can forecast which if any will be around in 1-5 years though.
  • Folks,

Anyone trade Bitcoin or any crpytocurrencies? In spite of me, one of my wife's relatives thinks he has money to gamble with. So was looking to inform on appropriate brokerage (if that's even a valid term for trading crpytocurrencies).

The one place the relative mentioned was Kraken. I know that's name of some monster. Didn't want him land with the TDAmeritrade for cryptocurrency, so thought I would ask here if anyone has a recommendation on who to go with.

Thanks much.

What's wrong with the TDA of crypto (other than the crypto aspect, which is a joke)? TDA is the easiest to work with, IMO.
  • My son used www.coinbase.com. No problems and it was easy to set up an account.
  • @Irwilliams - thank you for an actual answer to my question:-)

I see there has been some bitcoin theft from coinbase few years back when I googled. I'm guessing though this is par for the course. Will check with my whatchamacallit-nephew(?) if he has heard of it.