Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buybacks Have More Than U.S. Popular Opinion Against Them: Graphic

FYI: Proposals to limit or bar U.S. stock repurchases may amount to kicking businesses when they’re down. Comparing the Nasdaq Buyback Achievers Index, whose companies repurchased at least 5 percent of their shares in the past 12 months, with the S&P 500 Index shows as much. The ratio between the indicators has dropped as much as 14 percent from a record set in April 2015, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Along the way, an Invesco exchange-traded fund that tracks the buyback index has risen at a 6 percent annual rate, four percentage points behind the SPDR S&P 500 ETF’s pace.
Regards,
Ted
http://ritholtz.com/2018/09/buybacks-have-more-than-u-s-popular-opinion-against-them/

Comments

• I sold my PKW end of 2016, having made some good profits, saw it starting to lag , and figured i was better off putting the money into VOO, which I have been increasing over the last two years.