Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why The Stock Market Went Loco

FYI: That was the question on investors’ minds after a 1,300-point plunge in the Dow Jones Industrial Average on Wednesday and Thursday. “It,” of course, is a correction, or worse, in what had been a steady, nearly unstoppable ascent in the U.S. stock market.

While the decline was arrested for the moment Friday, the major averages ended the week with their steepest losses since the week ended March 23. The Dow ended down 4.2%, the S&P 500 fell 4.1%, and the Nasdaq Composite lost 3.7%. That was a far sight better than the 7.6% plunge in the Shanghai Composite but in line with declines in other bourses, from the Stoxx Europe 600 to Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 to Japan’s Nikkei and South Korea’s Kospi.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.barrons.com/articles/why-the-stock-market-went-loco-1539361320?mod=hp_LEAD_3

Comments

• Can't see without subscription.
  • edited October 2018
    Hello, FWIW, I have been Googling the Barrons' article titles in Google. With this, thus far, I have been able to read these subscription required articles of Barrons that Ted post.

In addition, I have linked the Crossing Wall Street Weekly Recap for October 12, 2018 that covers much of the same information but from a different source.

http://www.crossingwallstreet.com/archives/2018/10/cws-market-review-october-12-2018.html
  • edited October 2018
    Not anything I’d care to read. Pretty much watched the plunge in real time last week. I don’t think anyone knows for certain what triggered it and whether it will continue during the coming week.

But it would be nice if @Ted would tell us who’s words he’s pasted here? Is this Forsyth weighing in again? Or somebody else?