Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

fmi common stock

Looking for small/mid cap fund and this fund fmimx caught my eye. Any opinions on it, does anyone own it. Thanks

Comments

• I held it for a number of years & sold it 9/17 when cashing out 401-k. From what I remember it was okay.
    Good investing, Derf
  • Owned it for several years. Pretty decent fund.
  • I've owned it and the other FMI funds. I have no plans to sell it. There's nothing flashy about it and that's what I appreciate. If you're interested, spend some time reading their quarterly reports. It is important to understand how their team is set up and their approach. I would read several years going back to the dotcom period if able.
  • This truly does look like a winner. Thank you for bringing it up.
  • edited January 2019
    Are you buying through a brokerage or direct? Their website is underwhelming and they have no online account access. Everything is done by phone or mail - no electronic statements or documents. If you prefer to do everything online, stay away, or buy through a brokerage.

Their customer service is good, though. Their reports are timely and detailed, unlike some who take a full 90 days. (I hate getting fund reports in January for the period that ended in September.)

Performance is easy enough to look up. I won’t say they shoot the lights out, but I’ve been happy with it for years. They keep AUM under control, and despite being somewhat concentrated it’s not too bumpy.

I also like POAGX and RPMGX (if you can get it).

• Thanks everyone for your response.
    FMI seems like a outstanding Fund family, all 3 of there funds look to be well run.
    To joe74, I will be buying FMIMX thru a brokerage, and do currently also have POAGX.
  • @BECKMANB: an off-shoot of the FMI family is PROVX, a fund previously discussed on the board.
  • I own it and I like the fund