Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Does your fund own Bayer? SF jury awards $80M in Roundup Cancer Trial

The following are lightly edited excerpts from a current NPR news report:

"A jury in San Francisco has awarded a California man $80 million in damages after he claimed that the weedkiller Roundup caused his cancer. The same six-person panel earlier this month sided with 70-year-old Edwin Hardeman, whose lawyers argued that the glyphosate-based herbicide was a "substantial factor" in causing non-Hodgkins lymphoma.

The Sonoma County man was diagnosed in February 2015, and had used Roundup on his 56-acre property for more than two decades, according to his lawsuit.

Bayer and Monsanto face hundreds of other Roundup lawsuits in the San Francisco federal court.

The verdict is the second in the U.S. to find a connection between the herbicide's key ingredient, glyphosate, and the disease. In August, another San Francisco jury determined Roundup had caused cancer in a former groundskeeper. It also decided Monsanto, the company that developed the popular weedkiller, deliberately failed to warn consumers or regulators about the product's risks."

Comments

• FOLLOWING - I have it
  • @newgirl- OK, if I come across any additional info that might impact Bayer pricing I'll add to this post.

OJ
  • There is no way Bayer can win in a San Francisco Federal Court.
  • Yes, a SF court is a certainly tough challenge for a suit of this nature. It will be very interesting to see how the many similar cases pending in other jurisdictions turn out.

• If it goes on sale during these proceedings, it might be a decent value play for a global ag/chem company.....
  • @MFO Members: Does Casey Campbell need to worry ?
    Regards,
    Ted

• This used to belong to Monsanto. There have been spin-offs and re-iterations. So now Bayer owns it. My aunt worked for Monsanto for a million years. She gave us nephews and nieces stock in the company. In those days, the 1990s, Monsanto could neither see nor shoot straight. Everything they did turned to shit, resulting in lawsuits due to totally unethical behavior. I sold and re-deployed the money.
  • Good move!
  • Some day lawyers are going to sell "stock" in jury awards. It will defer their upfront costs and they will make 20% of the "profits" instead of 33% or 40%.

Goldman Sachs - if you have idea to start ETF based on this concept, you know who has the copyright to this idea.