Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My First 4 Years With SCHD As A Dividend Growth Investment

From David Van Knapp at SeekingAlpha:

Summary

° I bought the dividend ETF SCHD in 2015.

° My purpose was to test it out as a possible dividend-growth ETF and see how it compares to my own results with individual stocks.

° This report shows how SCHD has performed during my four years of ownership in dividends, dividend growth, and total return.

° I hope that the information here may help other investors who are considering dividend ETFs as components of their dividend-growth portfolios.

"This is a 4-year review of my ownership of Schwab's US Dividend Equity ETF (SCHD). I will compare its performance since I bought it in 2015 to the performance of my public Dividend Growth Portfolio (DGP) over the same timeframe."

Story Article

Comments

• What is the pop up ad for more info on SCHD doing in here ?
    Derf
  • Whaddaya mean what's it doing there? How do you think the web works? It assumes you might want to know more ....

Looking at the last 4y of performance (and parsing sub-periods) it's hard to see exactly why you would take SCHD over OUSA, NOBL, VIG, DVY (maybe the consistent laggard), SDY, even QUAL; and the sim-equity CAPE trounces them all longterm, but not shorter always.
  • edited June 2019
    @davidmoran : I thought at one time , links with ads were to be deleted. Maybe it was just ads ? Appears I was wrong ! Derf
  • edited June 2019
    Hi sirs... Which one do you folks hold, /preferred or considered to buy
  • USMV is the winner among all these higher div, even SPY is better. You can change one of files and enter SCHD too See results here

• @Derf - maybe as a member of SA I don't see what ad it is you're referring to. If there are ads in the link I apologize but in fairness I come across them in most of the articles linked from this discussion board. If this is not what you are referring to then I don't follow/understand your complaint.

@David, @FD1000 - I think at the start of Van Knapp's study he considered other like-minded dividend growth ETF's but SCHD stuck out. There is a link to the original article contained within the article I linked which will explain the process he went through and the reason for his choice 4 years ago.

Granted, things change.