Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: Interest Rate Chasing In Your Savings Account

FYI: Yesterday Ben got an email from Marcus, his online savings account.

They lowered the interest rate on my savings (and everyone else’s) from 2.25% to 2.15%.

I heard stories from people who use other savings accounts that also saw a drop. These online savings accounts are obviously getting ahead of the possible Fed rate cut because these short-term interest rates typically track the Fed Funds Rate.

I put out the following on Twitter and got some interesting feedback:
Regards,
Ted
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/06/interest-rate-chasing-in-your-savings-account/

Comments

• Let’s say I could earn an extra quarter of a percent by moving my money to another online bank offering better rates. For every $10,000 that would net me a whopping $25 a year in additional interest.

Is it worth it to go through the account opening process, move my money and change my automated savings goals for a measly $25 extra bucks on every ten grand?
    But what if you could earn, well not quite an extra quarter of a percent but an extra fifth of a percent without moving your money to another bank? Would it be worth it to open a higher yielding account at the same Marcus bank?

No penalty CDs at one's current bank are worth a look. They're easy to open, you don't have the hassle of dealing with a new institution, you can leave the old account open (with a minimal balance) so that you can maintain your automated deposits. The only downside is that your money is locked up for the first week of the CD.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/marcus-goldman-sachs/offers/
    Goldman Sachs Bank USA Cuts Rates Except the 13-Month No-Penalty CD
    the 13-month No-Penalty CD ... continues to earn 2.35% APY. The new lower APYs are shown below in bold and are effective as of 6/28/2019. The previous APYs are noted inside parentheses.

Online Savings Account - 2.15% (2.25%)
    7 mo NPCD - 2.15% (2.25%)
    11 mo NPCD - 2.20% (2.30%)
    12 mo - 2.50% (2.60%)
    18 mo - 2.50% (2.60%)

24 mo - 2.55% (2.65%)
    36 mo - 2.60% (2.70%)
    48 mo - 2.65% (2.75%)
    60 mo - 2.80% (2.90%)
    72 mo - 2.85% (2.95%)
  • The Linkster's CD's:

Buy 12/3/18